I Forge Iron

Tool bag/box

Hello all,

It's been quite awhile since I've posted here, primarily because I had moved for awhile without access to a forge, but I am back to smithing again.  The school I go to meets once a month for a particular project.  You walk in, grab the first station (forge, anvil, quench tank, post vice) you see, and get to work.  Over the years, I've slowly been adding to my tools (Obviously a hammer, 2 sets of tongs, a rasp, a file, soap stone, ruler, hold down tool, hot cut, center punch, wire brush, calipers, borax, lighter).  Previously, I had been using an old gym bag to transport everything, but as my collection of tools grows in number, and some of them (soap stone and calipers) are somewhat delicate, I'm realizing I need a better method.  

I thought about a 5 gallon bucket with a tool organizer, but I'm not sure if that would prevent my calipers from being damaged.  I thought about a portable metal tool box as the drawers would easily hold the more delicate items, but not my hammer(s) and tongs.  I'm trying to keep it to one thing to carry in with me if possible.  I wasn't sure if others here had a similar predicament and/or might be able to offer some suggestions.

Tool boxes and bags for blacksmithing tools always fill to capacity, and when you switch to larger they get too heavy to move very far.

do you wear an apron, an apron pocket for the soapstone and calipers, with the apron wrapped around them in the tool bag might work.

You've got that right.  The instructor tends to pull up with his pick up and 5 or 6 construction buckets in the back filled with tools.  I definitely look forward to the day when I can build my own forge and begin hording tools.  

The good news is, the school gives a list for each project and which tools are needed in advance, so I can leave the rest at home.  The bad news is, even for a single project, the number of tools can be considerable.  The apron idea isn't a bad one, I hadn't considered that.  Its a little more work to remember to wrap them up carefully and watch out for them when I unwrap them, but it's a workable solution.  

I was also considering the tool box I mentioned above, but simply carrying my hammer and tongs in hand.  Right now, that would be doable (one hammer, two sets of tongs) but I have a feeling a second hammer is in my near future.

Wrap the soapstone with masking or other tape, diagonally so you have a 1/2 tape width overlap, from one end to the other. The now double thickness of tape protects the soapstone from breaking, and can be unwrapped a small amount at a time to reveal new marking material.

Remove the apron and use it to wrap around the calipers and delicate things using the strings to tie the bundle closed. You will know what is on the inside and be unwrap the bundle carefully.

Being a blacksmith, you can make a lot of the tools on site when needed. such as drifts, chisels, center punches, etc  You can forge weld (or electric weld) a piece of metal to your stock as a handle. A pair of universal tongs can hold many different shapes securely. 

Look at the Mästermyr chest and the tools it contained. 

One guy I know, he demonstrates at a restored railroad, has the smallest tool bag you can imagine. A round leather satchel just big enough to hold two hammers, 3 pair of tongs and a couple of punches and chisels. Said he got tired of the ever growing lug fest of a tool box and this forces him to bring a minimal kit.

I just came across this, and I'm thinking it might fit the bill.  I'll have to wait till I get home to measure my tongs and such, but, hammer(s) and tongs in the bottom, files, rasps, etc in the upper portions.  

Plus, it's made of metal, so hopefully I won't have to keep buying $10 gym bags at WallyWorld every time something gets too hot near my tools.

toolbox.jpg

Before you put anything on a work table, dip it into water and place it in your bare hand, then put it on the work table. That way there are no surprises, and no one can get injured by grabbing a hot item. 

The box is 21.9 x 13.2 x 9.3 inches and weighs 12.1 pounds empty. The box could easily start gaining weight and could get too heavy to lift. 

You only need a minimal amount of tooling to do many things.

We use two buckets with tool organizers, one for hammers & handled tools the other for tongs & anvil tools. They are manageable although a little heavy. The soap stone is in a metal holder and never gets damaged when in one of the outside pockets (you can forge one directions here)https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52155-soapstone-holder/

Calipers go in the same pockets along with other misc fragile things never had a problem. I just weighed them 40 pounds each.

100_1980.thumb.JPG.c9b11d8fd3f33f464ffd682fbc0fd375.JPG

I've seen a wooden ammo box with wheels that I thought was *nice*. I use multiple kitty litter buckets---they are square and so pack neater. And for some reason I get a regular supply of them.  Holding the weight down is a a good thing. "stuff" tends to expand to the limits!

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

I use multiple kitty litter buckets---they are square and so pack neater. And for some reason I get a regular supply of them.  Holding the weight down is a a good thing. "stuff" tends to expand to the limits!

I really like the kitty litter bucket idea!  We go through them fairly often, so even if I burned a hole in one, I could replace it.

And for the record, when I burn my current gym bag, it's not from putting hot tools in it.  There's no place to set my bag except on the ground, and there's very little space, so it usually ends up near the base of the anvil or post vice to keep from tripping over it.  And, well, as we all know, sometimes the hot stuff doesn't always stay in our tongs.

I also didn't realize that tool box was 12lbs empty.  That really stinks.  I liked the idea of being able to separate things, but I don't know if that'll be possible.  I'm starting to think that I need to focus on some sort of smaller boxes to keep the more fragile things in, like soap stone and calipers.  So, while I'd still have to dig through everything to get what I need, at least it'll keep it safe(ish).

I use the kitty litter buckets, too, as I also seem to get a regular supply.  :C   But I needed to transport some tools lately and picked up a nice canvas bag for cheap at HF.  I know, I know, HF stuff is usually crap, but this bag was just the ticket for me.  Has some inside pockets that accommodated, for instance, a spare cutting disc I was carrying.  It was on sale for less than $15.  

IMG-1903.jpg

Make a smaller wood or metal box for the calipers and stone and foam like it. Then it can go in the bucket with the rest of the tools. 

Ugh, yup, everything is hot heavy or sharp in this craft lol. Add in fragile or delicate and that needs Extra precautions. 

I put one of those retractable key keeper things that janitors use on my apron.  It's got my silverstreak pencil taped to the end so I never have to go looking for it. I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure that it would retract with a reasonably sized caliper attached to it.  Protip: If you put the key keeper on "backwards" to where the tool is trapped between you and the apron, it won't dangle when you bend over, yet it's plenty quick to haul out when you need it.

Here's a tip for those of you using the plastic 5-gallon buckets (like I do).  Cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to the same diameter as the bottom inside diameter of your bucket and place it on the bottom.  That way when you toss your hammer(s) and/or tong(s) into the bucket it won't bust the bottom out of it.  I've got about 10-12 of the buckets in my shop with most of the hand tools in them and all the buckets have plywood bottoms.  The 1/4" plywood is plenty sturdy and lighter weight than, say, 3/8" or 1/2".

Another thing I do is to split a 4" long piece of 1/2" PVC tubing and place it over the thin, cheap handles the buckets come with.  Gives a MUCH better, larger grip.  Just run a bead of PVC cement along the split after putting it on and it's permanent.