I Forge Iron

John Brooks, Stourbridge

New here. I picked up this beast from a near neighbour, for £200. Marked up 5CWT, SB, JB

It was languishing in a flower bed. I think its a John Brooks, and I think SB = Stourbridge.  Big 1 1/2 inch hardy hole. I have mounted for now on a trunk and cleaned it up.

condition is ok - some damage to the edges, so its had some use, but it’s so big I can find a clean spot easily. One spot on the face is a little damaged as if something white hot was left for too long. Lovely ring (fixed with a welders magnet under the pritchell) and a ball bearing bounces right back into my hand. 

Anyone have a clue as to how old it might be.?

E023D1E3-DB2F-4440-BF5B-B31CD9DA546E.jpeg

CA37A2A6-EA42-4E98-AE56-6546E55748E0.jpeg

• 8 months later...

Should be the weight in the CWT system with 3 x 112 pounds + 0 x 28 pounds + 0 pounds---does it weigh around 336#

At some point JB went to kg; but I believe it was after they dropped the Stourbridge stamping.

CWT was based on the old "stone weight" where one stone was 14 pounds so the weights were in (8 stone) (2 stone) (residual pounds)

We would love to see a picture of it!