I Forge Iron

Axe failure

I had a major failure on a folded axe.  Material was recycled but tested as mild steel.  2" x 3/8". Used the fuller pictured.  I didn't go quite half way on the fuller end area.  I thought the heat of the materials was good.  I have no idea why this happened.  Coal fuel. You can laugh as much as you want as long as you tell me what I did wrong. This was the first try so I'm going to try again. That crack is all the way through and on both sides at the fuller. I also missed the weld next to the eye. It didn't take or I didn't get it set well enough to take the drift.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Biggun

it was deco railing (1960-70). It sparked tested like a piece of known mild steel that I had and it cut like butter.  The overheat probably happened when I tried the re-weld after I drifted

J

It did need to be straightened after each fuller run.  I'll make sure I take more care next time.  A little less than halfway on the fuller is correct?