I Forge Iron

Newby from Leeds, UK.

Hi, 

been in love with the idea of Blacksmithing from a real early age. 30 years ago I met a smith in Suffolk on holiday and always had a plan to start and finally I am. Building my forge at the moment, brake drum in a 9 gallon keg etc..... hopping to get to know people and gain some valuable knowledge. My interests are in all things metal. I am currently studying for a PhD in African art history and anthropology and plan to visit Nigeria to work with some “traditional” smiths. And, I am guessing always a long shot, if any smiths are in my local area and need a hand for free just so I can get my eye in ( I am a good cook and have run restaurants so anything paperwork or cleaning or anything like that in exchange) that would be greatly appreciated. Like I said a long shot. 

Anyway can’t wait to get going and to learn some new skills. 

Thanks

simon. 

Sorry feel like the last reply was very curt. Thanks for the welcome (i was in the middle of my paid work) i would love to come and just have a chat. I can see that there are not to many people from the UK on this forum (one of the best I have found). Be great to see some one working a forge again. 

Welcome aboard Simon, glad to have you. There are quite a few smiths on the forum on your island. If you're ever in my neighborhood feel free to give me a call, we'll clear some room to walk and light a fire. I was inspired to want to play with fire and hit things by a TV show I saw when I was a kid. 

Frosty The Lucky.

17 hours ago, Simon Hilton-Smith said:

I am currently studying for a PhD in African art history and anthropology and plan to visit Nigeria to work with some “traditional” smiths.

By an interesting coincidence, I just finished “The Mande Blacksmiths” by Patrick McNaughton*, who spent a lot of time studying with traditional blacksmiths in the Western Sudan in the 1970s. If you don't know this already, it's a fascinating study not only of smithing technique, but also of the political, social, and religious roles played by smiths in Mande society, with particular emphasis (of great interest to you, I'm sure) of the challenges of understanding blacksmith-produced Mande sculpture (both wood and iron) through the lens of academic art historical methods. McNaughton takes a primarily anthropological approach, which I think serves his subject well. He also gives a nineteen page bibliography, which I'm sure you'd find useful!

I also just posted links to the "Striking Iron" series of YouTube videos from the Fowler Museum at UCLA: 

*(McNaughton, Patrick R., The Mande Blacksmiths: Knowledge, Power, and Art in West Africa, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1988. Print.)

Hi JHCC, yes that sounds real interesting. I am studying the ideas of magic and medicine relating to the things produced by traditional healers and doctors and how they “work”. The smith has always been part of this magic. I’ll have a good look at his bibliography. 

Thanks