I Forge Iron

Lining a forge?

Ericsg

Looks like cast iron, so I would probably re clay it. And I do mean clay- dug from your garden is fine. Get it damp and pack it in place, you're good to go. There are plenty of discussions on claying a forge in this section- take some time to read thru all the whys and wherefors.

Steve

Um... is anyone else noticing the elephant size hole in the room? Is there a forge pot that goes in the hole in your forge table? Looks like a rotor would fit in there as a forge pot. Or is my perspective way off on the photo?

Cover the hole with a piece of plate steel 11 ga to 1/4 inch thick with a hole in the middle for your air inlet. A simple piece of exhaust pipe with a T in it will do. Put a couple of pieces of 1/4 rod across the pipe to both act as a grate and to hold the pipe above the plate. It can stand an inch or so above the plate and the ash will fill in the difference. 

First fire should be a small one and a cool fire so the forge can heat slowly and dry out. Kindling will be fine.  Next day again a small fire to start then add more fuel after the forge has started to warm up.

2F26-P1010118.jpg  2G08-P1010078.jpg