I Forge Iron

Centaur Forge tool kit

I'd like to buy this tool kit. 

[Commercial link removed per TOS. Feel free to name the vendor and list the items included.]

I have bunch OLD tongs and one set  I made for 5/8'' stock... But i'd like some nice ones too. Everything here is stuff I could use, and I want that book.  I can get 10% off as well. I'm just wondering if this is a good buy?  If i bought this, all I'd need is stock... Got my Rivet Forge, coal, 221lbs Peter Wright Anvil, and 31 hours of forge time.

I know a lot of guys talk about how they start from scratch. I'm already in the trades, and I view blacksmithing as a very serious trade. I want all the basics, so I can practice, practice, practice and not worry about not having the right tool (s).... And if I don't have them I'll be able to make them.

I got my start by outfitting myself in a simular manner if you have the money by all means if you see it as a value then it is. Mind that since i bought the basics i have built my own treadle hammer all kinds of tongs anvil tooling stands racks dies.......

there is nothing wrong with hitting the fast forward switch with a little $$$ but you will forever be making tools you need that is most of the fun!

du

Thats exactly it. I'm young, no girl, no kids, but very busy with work. I have a decent amount saved up, and plan on selling off about 2 or 3 grand worth of guitar equipment, which which is twice what i have invested in blacksmithing... The key was my uncle giving me his anvil.... Well I worked for it and that was his payment.

I just want to get started smithing.

If it's all stuff you want or need anyway then it's up to you. I'm sure you could find some of those items cheaper elsewhere but if it's a good usable package deal to you then go for it. 

In general there are always more tools to make so if the package deal gets you ahead then go for it. Too bad they don't include safety glasses. Always need those, and more than one pair. :)

JW513

You are right safety glasses are easily put down and lost,  in the smithy.

A good way to cut down the losses, is a device older people use for keeping their reading glasses on hand.

Visit a pharmacy and talk to one of the experienced staff.  Tell them about your problem and they will direct you to a device that will help. 

It looks like stout string that has small loops at each end and sliding sleeve that chokes the loop,  of each,  of the glasses' arms.

You put the device around  your neck and let the glasses hang down when not in use.

They are not expensive.  Much cheaper than the cost of a new pair of safety glasses.

SLAG.

I just keep my glasses on, even when I’m hand sanding or filing.  It’s easier that way.  A few times I’ve moved to a more dangerous task and realized I was not protected.  The creepy feeling that something was wrong came quickly.  My biggest annoyance with glasses is that I keep them on when I go back into the house.  Then I take them off and leave them on a table only to return to the shop without them.  Each time I badger myself muttering, “You never learn...do you,” and then I do it again.  Going in the house is simply a two trip situation.

Easiest thing to do is to WEAR the safety glasses from the time you enter the shop. They are inexpensive so buy a bunch of them. Leave them new and in the bag where they will be needed, grinder, forge, drill, etc. That way there is NO excuse. Place the remainder of the glasses at the door(s) to the shop. Save one pair out to put in your vehicle. They will be needed at some point, whether it is changing a tire, the visit to the junk yard, or other occasions. Put a pair in the chainsaw carrier.

Earplugs are inexpensive and should be put in many locations throughout the shop. No excuses, just pop in a pair when needed. People thing that ear plugs are for noise, which is ture. They are just as important for keeping dirt, welding spudder balls, and etc out of the ears. When things get really loud or loud for a long period of time, add ear muffs over the ear plugs for a second level of noise reduction. To get your attention, just flash the lights.  You can not hear them sneaking up on you anyway.

There are two types of general eye protection that I like, the covers everything and fits your face type. My trifocals are poly carb with side shield safety glasses but I wear the covers everything type for lots of tasks. They run less than $4.00 ea at AIH but a box of 10 is IIRC $25.00 or so. The other type of general safety glasses I like are "bug eyes" (common name because of how they look) they fit well and cover all sides without the annoying frame and such that can deform the picture. Unfortunately they won't fit over my specs. They come in various shades too so work for gas, cutting, welding, brazing, etc. They're discounted in quantity too.

It's funny how the real hardware stores like to promote safety, like they want you coming in as long as possible or something. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

I just have a habit of wearing eye protection the minute I start forging and wear them until I take off my apron.  It's always the last thing I remove.  I have mine on a flexible mesh like thing that allows me to hang them around my neck if I have a need to take them off.  I rarely do that though.  

• 1 month later...

Buy good safety glasses with anti FOG coatings and train yourself to use them and look after them. One of the main reasons people take their glasses off is to see something better but if you look after them there is no need. I do my nut with my lads at work. They take their glasses off and chuck them on the bench, often lense down. Mine are either on my face or in a case. They last for ages if you take care of them. When they get dirty I have a soft cloth just for cleaning them and nothing else. 6 months wear out of a pair wearing them every day isn't unnseuall.