I Forge Iron

6" Post Vise Find

OcHavac

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, i found a set i could modify for cheap from Amazon, Morton Low Carbon Steel Spherical Washer Sets, Equalizing Washers, Inch Size, 1-5/8" Bolt Size. I had to grind the ID a bit but for 9 bucks it was worth it compared to the cost at McMaster.

I am in the process of making /adjusting the spring and building the stand. I think I may have to make the ID of the washers a little larger than what i currently made.  The spherical radius itself can provide about15 degrees of rotation. i bought two just in case I needed to add them in series for increased range. The distance from the pivot to the bolt is about 40 inches which would produce about a 12Deg sweep angle when separating the jaws by 4 inches. the bolt is about 1.75 inches and i will need to grind the washer opening to about 1.790 inches to allow free rotation to that angle. Wow, that was too much math for a saturday before my first cup of coffee

• 1 month later...

jlpservice, I just realized i never posted a picture in response to your question. Surprisingly the double spherical washer set appears to stay tight to about 12 inches. I do not see any gaps.  I opened the ID if the washers by about 0.050 inches.

20181101_175108.jpg

20181101_174835.jpg

yes, I wanted to make sure I cleared that dent in the screw box. I put the two thicker parts in the center, and the shallow convex parts in the outside.  Do you see a problem with that approach?  It appears to work well, but this is my first time using a post vise