I Forge Iron

Introduction

I am new to smithing and have only been doing it a few weeks. I have been getting a lot of information from this website since and before I started so I thought I would join. I use this old buffalo forge that I found in a scrap pile at my buddies house. Biggest problem I have faced so far is finding coal in my area. I have been just using charcoal.

65CDB718-607B-43DE-8EF2-F5695E2A9FC4.jpeg

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

Nice rivet forge. Since charcoal likes a deep fire, you might find it useful to build up a deeper firebowl with firebricks or a sand and clay adobe. Lots of good discussions about this in the solid fuel forges section; take a look.

12 hours ago, Aaron Price said:

I have been just using charcoal.

Hey, nothing wrong with charcoal!  Hot, cheap (free) and clean. Probably better in a side blast forge though, so yes, as John said, maybe make the fire bowl a bit deeper.

Nice old blower. They are quite common here and the old timers referred to them as Buffalo blowers.

Thanks I will have to try that out. I finally figured out what my anvil is today. It was from a barn that my step moms parents have. It is evidently a 100 pound Vulcan. It is in bad shape though. Missing chunks and is cracked. The hardy hole end is broken completely off. But it will work for now. I got stuff free and have always wanted to do this so it has worked out so far.

Still, you are ahead of many who are still desperate for a heavy chunk of metal for a makeshift anvil.  Noth8ng wrong with charcoal but, seriously, the smell of coal is a part of smithing that drags you in.  If you smell too much of it, though, you might have a health problem.  

Welcome aboard.

Auto correct was auto reset with the automatic upgrades I can't stop from happening EVERY STINKING TIME I OPEN MY COMPUTER! GRRRR. 

How do we start a class action suit to stop the idiocy? 

If Aaron isn't scared already he isn't paying attention but you ARE right John, I didn't intend to increase the fear, if he can weather the idiocy of opening his computer he'll fit right in! 

My call for a class action suit to stop idiocy is of course a joke. Idiocy can't be stopped, idiots are too clever, evolution in action, sit back and enjoy. Nothing else rational we can do.

Let's see what auto whatever does this time. Fingers crossed as I submit

Frosty The Lucky.