I Forge Iron

25 LG price- needs a little work

I fellow  is  selling a 25 LG for $2500. He says it's in working condition but needs a little TLC.  Here  is what he says about it:

"In terms of what it need right away:
A better clutch spring, the current spring is worn out and when you take your foot off the treadle the hammer keeps running a bit.
The long term things it could use is a new pitman arm conversion, and to have the pulley sent to little giant for a rebuild service, it is not really necessary, but it would run a little smoother if that was done.
I don't have any other dies, but these are in really good condition.
New dies and many replacement parts are available for these hammers from little giant.
the sowblock dovetail has had some repairs done that appear to be holding up fine, I am told they were finished 2.5 years ago, and that new Babbitt bearings were also poured at that time.
Overall the hammer has good potential, and is currently running, just a little quirky."

Trying to decide if I should jump on it. I don't know a ton about what some of these fixes might involve/cost. Thoughts?

Thank!

Good morning edennis,

I guess it depends how bad you want a LG and how often they are up for sale in your area;).   I bought one about 5 years ago that came up in an estate sale and was the closest one I had seen advertised in my area, about an hour drive away.  It ran well and I was glad I got it.  Spent $2000 for it and then about another couple hundred in rental, gas, beer for helper and other people and their borrowed equipment. 

Lost it in a fire that went through our area a couple years back.......saved the remnants for a possible retirement project......ended up buying a small hydraulic press from Coal Ironworks and am enjoying using that equipment.  Quieter for my wife and the neighbors, but still wouldn't mind getting another LG if it became available.....

There are lots of good resources to rebuild/refine the working LG that you have.  I got another set of dies from LG, along with a new spring, plus good info from Sid at that time. Had a tuneup book that is available, and watched a number of videos/youtubes. 

Good luck !

Tom