I Forge Iron

Advice on heat treating a 2H machete/chopper in 5160

On 7/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, Chris Pariso said:

I had planned on slitting the top of the handle and epoxying/bolting the blade in, but I like the idea of adding in a band of sheet metal for a little extra reinforcement.

Remember that the junction between the blade and the handle will be subjected to some pretty massive twisting forces that want to tear it apart. A long tang with some widely spaced rivets will distribute those forces over a larger area, and some kind of collar will help the handle resist splitting. Do NOT count on epoxy to do the job for you; think of it as a supporting actor rather than the main character.

I am still trying to figure out what a 2H machete is , speaking in short-hand does not help  when there is an international audience attempting to follow a thread, It could be a new steel could be two handed and it could be many things when translated to one of the many languages spoken  in the 150 plus countries represented here

Steve - I apologize for the confusion. When I said 2h machete, I was referring to a machete that could be swung with one or two hands. Originally, I was envisioning a tool about 25 to 30 inches in overall length, that could be effectively wielded with either one or two hands. However, after testing the design, I decided that what I wanted to make was beyond my current skill level, and instead decided to make a tool that will be primarily swung with one hand. The steel I am using is 5160, and I started with flat bar stock that was 1/4 inch in diameter. I hope this clears up an ambiguity in my original post.