I Forge Iron

Portable forge build

Zeroclick

So I got this old water tank a couple of days ago with the intention of making two light weight potable bottom blast forges. The tank is about 24" across and has holes already at the top and bottom. At the bottom the hole and legs are just the right size to fit the black iron pip I had from my original forge.

I will be burning coke with it to keep smoke to a minimum, I was just hoping to get some advice on a couple of points.

1. how deep would you cut the forge I only intend on using them for smaller pieces I was thinking somewhere between 6 to 8 inches.
  2. I was thinking of lining it with clay rather than sand so that when transporting it can't shift around. I have seen a lot of references to digging into the ground to get the clay but that isn't an option for me so what kind of clay would be best to buy. ie fire clay or just regular air drying clay.

Thanks,

Luke

20180704_182619.jpg

I'm going to make a radical suggestion, here. Rather than make this into two bottom-blast forges, why not make one side-blast forge with a nice big bosh with a water tuyere? Cut about 8" or so from the top, flip the upper section down next to the bottom of the lower section, connect the two with a welded-up tuyere, fill the bosh with water and the forge with sand (or whatever; unscented cat litter is a decent source of clay), and you're off to the races. The hole in top (forge) section can be covered, and the one in the bottom (bosh) section fitted with some kind of drain valve. Some kind of stand that would hold the two halves in the proper alignment and at the proper height would be good, as would a sheet metal table to extend the working surface if needed. You can also weld handles onto both halves of the forge for portability.

When you're done, drain the bosh, cover the forge (or move the fill to a nonflammable container), and off you go.

9CE76F45-3984-4C86-8003-EC1A945B2F2B.jpeg

Furthermore:

3 hours ago, Zeroclick said:

light weight potable bottom blast forges

The addition of a water tuyere would go a long way towards making your forge potable, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Wow that really be a radical change, and I do really like the idea for a shop forge. But really I need them to take up as little space as possible and be to get these in the boot of my car along with everything for a sale and demo day.