I Forge Iron

Buffalo NO4E what do I have

Sam Blechle

received_1891456327553150.jpeg

Can anyone please shed some much needed light on this. I've had this for about ten years. Never did any research I'm very interested in finding anything i can about this. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Can anyone please shed some much needed light on this. I've had this for about ten years. Never did any research I'm very interested in finding anything i can about this. PLEASE HELP!!!!

This was moved to blowers section and combined with another post on the same subject.

Sam,  As others have stated, showing a picture of the overall blower will give us a better idea of the type, even if info is not available online.  Buffalo Forge made both hand cranked and electric motor driven blowers.  I have seen functional forge blowers priced anywhere from $50 to $350, but I've never seen one sell for more than $150.  Unless you have something very special, and the time to locate a collector with deep pockets who can't live without it, I don't think you are sitting on any kind of gold mine.

Please also note that Buffalo Forge made fans for all kinds of applications, not just blacksmithing.  A 20 second google search brought me to several websites that gave information on their products, including a easily downloadable old PDF catalog: (https://ia802705.us.archive.org/27/items/BuffaloForgeCompanyBuffaloNewYorkFansBlowersAccessories/BuffaloForgeCoCca42778.pdf).  Based on that, I think you have a size 4 Buffalo Steel Pressure blower (most likely with an electric motor).  If so it should most likely be fitted with a 1 HP motor and be capable of 520 CFM against 3 oz of static pressure.  This is likely serious overkill for a single hobbyist forge application.  Personally I've bought used "high pressure" blowers that are a whole lot "younger" than that one for $25 from liquidators, in fully functional condition.  If in perfect working condition I wouldn't expect it to sell for more than $50, possibly more if you have a functional speed control, but you never know.  Throw it on e-bay and see.  I've seen blacksmith stuff go for crazy prices lately. 

Pretty much as expected, except for the smaller motor.  You can use it if ducted up to your forge with a waste gate, or I believe this type of motor, if it still works, may actually be able to be run effectively with a variac (but check with an electrical guy before trying that).

Would be a good blower for a glass studio, to run furnace and glory hole simultaneously, but I wouldn't trust that motor to run continuously without having a set or two of replacement brushes.

Good luck.