I Forge Iron

First knife and 5th knife!

Awrksmokey

I make the confession that my, like many other people getting into blacksmithing, goal was to make knives. I did understand that I do need to learn the basics before I can forge a knife, so I made tongs, a toast8ng fork, hooks, and a spoon, but I was getting impatient and wanted to try a knife. First knife made of a mystery steel bar, fifth knife made from a coilspring. Here is my first knife I made a month or so ago, then my fifth knife and finally them both side by side. Tell me what you think! Criticism welcome! I think there are more things I could have done to each, but I do not have much to compare it to so I do not know if I completely failed or not. Sorry If the pics are bad, you can tell me and i will try to retake. 

Awrkiron

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

10 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

In my book, if it cuts well, holds it's edge and doesn't chip, you have a good blade :lol:. The rest is ergonomics and aesthetics. 

I haven’t had much time to test the fifth (cuts cucumber and paper)  but the first cuts wood pretty well with out too much edge deformation and chipping. 

Thank you for the advice,

Awrkiron

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

Progress, not perfection!

Haha, absolutely!

I dont think horseshoes are hardenable matreial?

the first and fith look good for blacksmith utility knives when you get into exotic hardwood, horn, bone, ivory, brass, bronze, copper, silver, mokume-gane........ then you will know you are addicted to knifemaking lol

good work 

keep us posted

yeah the horseshoes aren't hardenable so they are letter openers for family 

I didn't realise this fact till later and I thought I did the heat treat process wrong, then I came back to this thread and read this and now it makes sense.

Edited by KLO
needed more info