I Forge Iron

Chisel ground santoku

Joël Mercier

It seems that the whole issue boils down to "Is it a risk you're willing to take?" or more importantly,  "Is it a risk you're willing to let someone else take due to your work?" It's a beautiful knife, and definitely above my skill level, but with Slag's very noticeable points, it might not be the best in a kitchen.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:36 AM, Joël Mercier said:

I had no problem with it until the "kitchen knife unsuitable for the kitchen" part. An obvious lack of tact IMO. Less suitable, maybe, but downright unsuitable is an opinion and not a fact.

What does tact have to do with safety? How much Clorox do you put in your wipe down water in your home kitchen? I've never known a professional kitchen to not have at least a half cup per gallon in all the wash water in the cafe, restaurant, etc.

Unsuitable is anything used preparing or eating food that can't be cleaned, no matter what the price tag. There's a significant difference between price and value. People who care enough to tell you something you're about to do is unsafe is pretty valuable.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Frosty The Lucky.

Did you think before you wrote that? Everybody is colonized nasally with infectious things. Think maybe that's why EVERYBODY wears masks in surgery? They wash their hands too you know! :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

A hand forged Japanese blade sold commercially by a high end cutlery dealer in Montreal. You guys sure like to gang up on people. 

Screenshot_20180720-064218.png

So now tell me, why would such a respected and esteemed institution sell a knife that's unsuitable for the kitchen?