Sign in to follow this  
blacksmith-450

Advice : Sunlar Electric Blacksmith Forge Blower

I did my researches but I didn't find on the subject...

It seems good for the price,... the reviews are good, as this one

«I got this blower a couple weeks ago and have forged with it a few times since then. It will definitely work for your average blacksmith using coal. I’m using it to replace a champion 400 hand crank and it outperforms that despite a lower CFM rating. Unless you’re running an enormous forge this will produce enough air for you. At the highest setting it will almost blow the fire out of the fire pot.

Speaking of power, I’d highly highly recommend this blower be installed with an electric variable speed control. Properly tuned in, it will just maintain the fire and be literally silent at the lowest level. You could use a blast gate or just the choke on the blower itself, but I think you’re sacrificing performance if you do.

I struck one star from this review because despite being cast aluminum the blower feels fairly cheap, and I’m not sure how long it will last. The impeller and motor inside are slightly under engineered compared to squirrel cage fans in the same price range, but the upside of choosing this is that you’re getting an actual centrifugal blower instead of a fan. I’ll see how long it lasts, but right now it works well and I’m happy with the purchase. This is the cheapest real forge blower on the internet as far as I know.»

Somebody on IFI tried it ??

61ZvPDLDQqL._SX425_.jpg.4b8d3a3078de36fd81dca780de6f16fa.jpg

It sells for less than $100 USD. ( $189 Cnd)

Thanks.

Did I miss where you mentioned the brand or the model...

I'm not sure if the Amazon's link will be removed but

[Yep, it got removed.]

If you Google Sunlar 110V 250W US Style Electric Blacksmith Forge Blower , Centrifugal Barbecues blower, it's the first out !

looks like a good deal, no clue as to quality tho, the brand is  unknown  to me

The thread is a little old, but for anyone interested I happened to purchase one and it works fine.  I find it noisy though, but I have nothing to compare it to.  Really too much air for my ribbon burner (19 crayon sized holes, 2.5" pipe from blower to burner).  I'm looking for something quieter, or maybe just put a box over it.  Can't really use a variable speed switch, cause when my compressor kicks on the fan slows down if not at full power - big flames billowing out of the forge mouth, lots of fun!

I saw one of these at Quad State and have been recommending them for Ribbon Burner Forges.  I did not see if the motor has replaceable brushes (like an angle grinder, the 2 plastic screws usually at the back).  If it does not using a rheostat will probably burn it out soon.  Would someone check this and post the results?

Considering that these blowers are scattered for sale all over eBay and other sites, certainly more than one smith who might have purchased one could lend a review here on the suitability for forge use.