I Forge Iron

First Damascus hawk

I made a couple billets of Damascus to see if I could do it so then I had to make something with it! It’s wrapped and welded with a bit of a little different pattern welded in so the weld isn’t running down the cutting edge 

B69401BA-9DA5-4326-BE63-D0D58F0D92E4.jpeg

6F612B30-7175-4D3C-B3E0-84E38D31CBE1.jpeg

9760574B-1040-4520-911F-8A256A4C8CF6.jpeg

EE454C13-8253-43E2-8568-D497FE693D27.jpeg

337834B2-72DA-466E-8E93-3C3375C8A396.jpeg

I’m not brushed up on my terminology but this was folded in half and welded. Then I used a slightly different pattern and welded a bit in the end yet so the weld wouldn’t be running down the middle of the cutting edge 

On 7/3/2018 at 2:35 PM, Zachary said:

I’m not brushed up on my terminology but this was folded in half and welded. Then I used a slightly different pattern and welded a bit in the end yet so the weld wouldn’t be running down the middle of the cutting edge 

My mistake, it looked like you had folded and welding the eye from one end, same way Jame Austin does with his Viking axes.  However you did it, it looks nice.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a beautiful finished tomahawk.  For years I've made tomahawks and pipe tomahawks out of cast heads.  Try aquafortis and heat on the next curly maple handle you make.  It will make the tiger stripes really pop.  For a finish after sanding, also try polishing the whole handle with a piece of brown paper back.  The bag will put an incredibly smooth final sanding on it.  

It's super easy to work with.  You just apply it and then use a heat gun on low to heat it up.  You have to use 00 steel wool in between applications to knock down the whiskers as some of the grain will raise a bit.  As long as you follow the directions that come with it you'll be happy with the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...