I Forge Iron

Four of Something

Hi All,

My next unknowns are four of the same thing. These were tagged with the name "hinges", but I don't think that is correct, there are no movable parts.  Each one is 3 1/2 (h) x 1 1/2 (w) and 1 1/4 (d). I think they are painted metal, not terra cotta as they may appear, they have a fairly good heft to them for their size.  They all have a 1/4 inch hole on what I call their stem. Looks like they want to be strung together but I don't think that is the case. 

In case this is helpful, I live in Gainesville, Florida.  The museum I work with is dedicated to local history and is comprised of a historic house, a library/archives, the museum proper, and the Tool Barn.  The Barn is very cool (in everything but temperature - no AC). If you recall the drive-in theatre scene from Twister where everyone took refuge in a barn when the storm hit, you'll have an idea of what it is like. Fortunately I don't have to deal with swinging sickles and flying broad axes too much, but now that it is hurricane season again I am eyeing the scythes, the hay knives and the log hooks all mounted on the ceiling, with a little concern.

The barn was originally constructed by a gentleman who travelled the country collecting tools of very high quality;  many with historic value (19th and 20th century).  I imagine I know what happened, there must have come a day when his wife said "either those tools go or I do". In 1992 he constructed the barn in his backyard using pine post construction, without any nails.  When the barn was donated to the museum he deconstructed it and with friends, carried it board by board to the museum a couple of miles away. It was reconstructed and opened at the museum in 1998.  No one had catalogued the tools prior to my arrival.  Six hundred or so tools were personally collected by the donor, another 450+ have been given by the community, none with the quality of the originals.  Gainesville is located mid-state and was a farming community for many years.  The tools I have reflect the turpentine industry, forestry, blacksmithing  wood crafting and carpentry. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that many of the best tools were manufactured in Millers Falls, Mass, one town over from where I grew up. I don't have to worry about the old saying "you can't go home again", mine is following me around. 

Any thoughts on the "red hinges" will be gratefully received.

Tool Gal

TA596A-D(2005.59.2Ua-d)  Hinges, red (4) 0676.JPG

012-93-4 OE 1-425 Tool Barn 0548.jpg

Madame Gal,

A magnet may confirm that they are not terra cotta.

It is most probably made of iron. (aluminum would not respond to the magnet).

And terra cotta does weigh all that much.

Those tools look like they are made to attach to something, like a And the wall or tree. The holes in each one may accommodate tubing or pipe of some sort.

One of the other site denizens will probably nail the real use.

SLAG.

28 minutes ago, Toolgal said:

I live in Gainesville, Florida.

We won't remember this after leaving this thread. If you edit your profile to show it we will see it with every post and sometimes location helps with answers.

BTW: I'm having fun with your threads and hope it helps.

A few observations which may help with analysis (and, no, I can't say with any certainty what they are except to say that they kind of look like the female end of a pintle hinge but they seem too hefty and unworn for that):  1)  They appear to be very heavy duty and designed to carry a pretty heavy load.  2) assuming that they are magnetic I would guess that they are either an industrial forging made of steel or are made of cast iron.  Maybe a spark test would help.  3)  I don't like the tubing/pipe support hypothesis because they seem to be too heavy duty to support the weight of any fluid which could be transported in a pipe or tube the size of the hole.  Also, generally, brackets and supports attach to the pipe in someway at the site of mounting the bracket.  These would have to be threaded on from the end. 4) There appears to be no wear on the surface of the objects which means that they are either brand new or used is such a way that there is no exterior wear.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand"

The four pintle female tools is a good guess but shouldn't there be two holes for attachment to whatever.

With only one hole the 'tool' could rotate:  if it was not tightened for dear life?

Madame Gal your ex-students, that are now working at the Smithsonian, should be able to put you in touch with other staff that are involved with tools and especially those that identify tools.

Incidentally,  that department has an internet site that posts pictures of tools that they have not been able to identify.

Perhaps they might want to post them on this site too.

SLAG.

With only one bolt/attachment hole each they would most likely not be a hinge part that is mounted horizontaly but vertically. There are many possibilities from equipment gates that open out from the top or fold down like a ramp to other equipment. It may be tough to track these ones down without a part number or info from someone who has seen these mounted on something. 

I was struck by the red color and immediately thought “tractor”.  A quick search brought the possibility of them being hitch supports or stabilizer brackets for an old tractor.  However, the different sizes makes this a bit unlikely.  That fact also makes it less likely that they are hinges.  Unless, of course, they are the same size and I’ve been confused by perspective in the photo.

As to the single bolt attachment. The piece has a depression with ledges so the ledges would keep it from moving if pulled down tight over a corresponding piece. They do look like some sort of a hinge/pivot to me. As to original application - can't tell ya. If the paint is original it could possibly be Massey Ferguson.