I Forge Iron

This can't be what I first thought it was.

Ok, next item looking for identification is a six inch long metal piece, about 1/2 dia. with a spoon-like end.  I remember seeing something like this from long, long ago when I was in college, but this one must have another use.  Is it a syrup spoon to feed butterflies? A medicinal measure for a very small does of something? What do you think?

Best regards, Tool Gal

0000.000.00 Spoon from TA488 1512.jpg

Hmmm, I won't argue that it could be a potter's tool, but could there be another use?  It was found in a tool chest with saws, monkey wrenches, wood clamps and the like. 

Thanks for your ideas!

Tool Gal

Madame Gal,

A slight side elevation photo of the tool would be helpful. The depression at the end is interesting. Is it deep?

Mr. Dragon is,  in my opinion,  on the right track. But clay modelling tools, though shaped like your tool, are usually made of wood.

They would not have a deep depression.

SLAG.

Greetings All,

Yep John is right ( again) .. I was sure he would chime in with the correct answer. Got one somewhere in my vast piles of stuff.

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

A caution;  just because something is found in a tool chest does not automatically make it a tool in it's original nature---or else the kids toys that would find their way into my tools would be such.  I also note that I have several pieces of chemistry equipment in my kitchen that I use in cooking. Fisher laboratory tongs have been used to manipulate cooking bacon for at least 2 generations in my family...

Perhaps that was included because the owner found it just right for spreading wood glue on a project they commonly did...

I agree with John and Jim on this one. I have found a bunch in different sizes and shapes.  That doesnt mean it couldnt cross over as something else, as Thomas points out. 

I have found many non group specific tools or items in with other tools in a toolbox from auctions or sales. 

Madame Gal,

The problem that the Smithsonian "tool staff" sometimes encounter is that an unidentified tool could be a "one off". 

That is,  an implement that was fashioned for a unique, obscure purpose by the owner,  or another person,  and the tool's use is not immediately obvious. (indeed completely obscure).

Their website displays a number of tools that even they could not figure out. And probably never will.

Congratulations John and Jim you nailed it.

Bully.

There sure is a lot of expertise and information on this site!

SLAG.

My first guess was tire spoon also...but it seemed too short.  Model T spoons were flat and 10" long.  However...it seems to match the rare photo of tire spoons for older bicycles pretty well in size and shape.  The only reasonable photo of a closely matching vintage spoon I could find on the 'net was not able to be swiped easily so I couldn't post it.  Those were almost the same shape but about 6.75" long.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, lots of good answers on this one (as always). Using the combined wisdom of several of you I think my final answer will be a bicycle tire changing lever.  Thomas Powers was wise to remind me that just because things are in tool boxes they aren't always tools. That's true of course, but it's the first thing I would consider. John and others were on the right track with tire spoon and the photos from BIGGUNDOCTOR proved we were headed in the right direction. I have a Girder Minor from a Joseph Lucas (the Prince of Darkness) kit for a Rolls Royce, so I am a bit familiar with tiny tools, but I was pretty sure my piece was too delicate to use on car or motorcycle tires. When Kozzy mentioned bicycle and internet it prompted me to look up bicycle tire changing equipment.  I found a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2Qa33Vz2o  on changing bike tires.  I'm sending along a pic I grabbed off the site, of their version of a bicycle tire changing lever, used to remove an inner tube.  Thanks to you, wise ones, I think this is another one solved.

Bicycle Tire Changing Lever.JPG