I Forge Iron

Speaking of files....

I bought a "lot" of files at an auction yesterday and was sorting a pile big enough that I never have to worry about loaning and not getting it returned.  I ran into one oddball that I don't remember seeing before.

It's a single cut with an "X" pattern overlay.  I assume those act as some sort of chip breaker but I wanted to see if anyone had more information---designed for gummy materials that would make larger rolling chips?  Some other benefit?  Just a hokey sales "feature"?  File is also marked with the brand Atkins and "Silver Steel".  Found a site listing major USA file manufacturers and a little history plus when they closed that might be interesting to some  http://americanmadefiles.blogspot.com/2014/02/   This site implies the file  is pre-1966

"Silver steel" is a bit fluffy on internet searches but one reference from a blade blog post says "Silver steel or high-carbon bright steel gets its name from its appearance. It is a very-high carbon steel. It is defined under the steel specification standards BS-1407. It is a 1%-carbon tool steel which can be ground to close tolerances. Usually the range of carbon is in the range 1.10% - 1.20%. It also contains trace elements of 0.35% Mn (range 0.30–0.40%), 0.40% Cr (range 0.4–0.5%), 0.30% Si (range 0.1–0.3%), and also sometimes sulfur (max 0.035%) and phosphorus (max 0.035%). Silver steel is sometimes used for making straight razors, due to its ability to produce and hold a micro-fine edge."  However, apparently old Atkins saw blade literature touts it as much more magical as far as steels go.

Anyway...the question is more about any benefits to the odd cross-hatching.  Just tossed in the rest for general info in case anyone else was interested (or had too much time on their hands).

2lljeaa.jpg

You are right on the date. Nicholson bought them in 1966 and took over or eliminated the products they had.

As far as the cut of the file, Simonds still makes one like that. It is called a Multi-Kut file.

From their literature:

"The “world’s most versatile file”- combines the best filing features of a Flat file and a Mill file.

Remove material faster while creating a smooth finish! The combination of coarse teeth and a double “chip breaker” groove cut into the file allows this product to do the work of a Flat file and a Mill file - 2 in one! Feature available on Simonds Flat Files and the Flat side of Simonds Half Round Files!"