I Forge Iron

Tool IDs needed for Tool Museum

Hi All, I work with 19th-20th century tools (woodworking, blacksmithing, turpentine harvesting, livestock and farming) in a tool museum and have come across several items that have defied identification despite diligent research in the past year and many Google image checks.  I hope this knowledgeable group could help me figure some of these out.  Most of them come from donated tool chests, items left over after all else had been catalogued.  Here's the first odd ball, listed as a "hanger" (Google offered "a tool"- not helpful.) Thanks very much.

Green painted object with two small holes in the back presumably screw holes, so object can be attached to wall.  Front section consists of a circular loop, 1 1/2 dia., PD 41 imprinted near loop. Very heavy for small object, perhaps made of iron. 3 x 1 1/2 x 2 in.

TA597 (2005.59.2V) Green Holder 0133.jpg

TA597 (2005.59.2V) Green Holder, verso 0134.jpg

Madame Toolgal,

Welcome to the site.

What is the writing on the tool in question?

I can make out  ( *  *  PD 41.)

Are the first two 'letters' N. Y. ?

P. D. could possibly denote 'police department'.

I will refrain from making "wild" guesses, as there is a good chance that several of the site denizens know what item is.

It would help if you indicated where you are located. We have members from all over the world. And I think about 150 countries.

For example you could be in Europe, the Americas, or Australia etc. Location would help.

Good luck,

SLAG.

Another resource for identification  is a subgroup at the Smithsonian Institution. The department specializes in indentifing tools

O.K.,

I cannot resist.

Here is a wild stab at the tool's function.

Could the item be attached to a "wall" by the two holes. and it could contain something like a large flag or a banner of some sort being attached to a pole?

SLAG.

ToolGal

It was bolted onto something else, not a wall. It is made to support a shaft (of what diameter????) and it will carry some thrust load on the face that is 90 degrees to the bolt face. There is no room for a retainer, Snap-Ring or any other means of retention on the inside of the 90. It is made so the heads of the bolts will not interfere with a shaft.

Something that was built with that much substance, Is not made for hanging something on a wall.

I have this SCREW, it is loose. What is it for? (other than proving I have a screw loose).

Neil

More photos please...especially if any wear patterns show on the piece.

But it is a long-shot.  Casting parts was SOP and cheap so it could be just about anything barring other clues.

In our Agricultural museum, we have a 1932 flat bed ford truck and use unknown items on its bed as a game for guests---We have a mix of some oddball interesting known items as well as a few unknown items for people to guess...or ponder.  Some are easy so kids can get an answer right..some are middlin so parents can show their kids what they know...and some virtually impossible.  Everyone likes to get one or two right so the mix is important.   Once in a while we get surprised by someone who actually knows what a mystery item that we could never figure out was (we try and second source verify also).  

Just sayin something similar might be the place for such oddball pieces as this in your museum.  Turn its mystery into a feature instead of a bug.  The "whatizit" stack is always a hit...even for people who've visited many times before.

Ok...I think we already had several winners---bottom mount for a post drill.  I went out and checked the 6 I have in the shop and one had a virtually identical bottom mount. The others were quite different. Unfortunately I couldn't get it clean enough to see the brand...but there are probably several similar anyway.  Looked like ACME but I wouldn't swear by that through 90 years of grease and dirt.

k00nep.jpg

OMG is there anything you can't collectively figure out?  Daswulf, you are the reigning champ, two for two!  The other replies were also incredibly helpful.  I never thought of contacting John Deere, but the color is right isn't it?  And ah yes, the Smithsonian.  I have several former museum students working there but none in departments devoted to tools, still an excellent reference for the future. Kozzy, Butcher of Metal, you get the award for coolest name, or perhaps most evocative. It was your photo that convinced me that Daswulf was correct.  Yes, playing a What's It game would be fun but I need definitive results and reliable resources for now. If I can't ID a tool correctly it can't go on view, we just aren't set up for visitor guessing yet, but its a great idea for the future. 

Gratefully yours, Tool Gal

Toolgal, with 47,000+ members from 150+ countries of the world, blacksmithing is a common thread for the group. Each member has other hobbies, skills, and expertise that is also available and used to answer questions. Solving problems is fun. Building things my hitting hot metal with a hammer is even more fun. (grin)

We're a lot like a school room of elementary children when the teacher asks a question. Out of the bunch there's a couple with their hands in the air, bouncing on their seats and saying, I know! I know! I know!  :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.