I Forge Iron

Newbie question.

Hello everybody.  I am very new to blacksmithing as in just started 2 hours ago.  The problem I am having is while trying to make a rake for my homeade coal forge( actually charcoal until I can order the real stuff) I was trying to spread a 1/4 inch round stock and ended up getting it way to thin.  I did not get the width so I was wondering is it ok to fold it back onto itself to build it back up and then try it again?  I know I've read about folding it in knife making but I was just wondering about for tool making.  Also I know 1/4 is small anyway but it was what I had on hand and just wanted practice.  Any advice is appreciated.

May I point out that they have been using real charcoal to forge iron and steel for about 3 times longer than they have been using coal?

I have several coal forge fire rakes made from 1/4" sq stock that work well, (my wife even took one to use as a light duty woodstove tool...). 1 trick with square stock to get width flatten on a diagonal as that is 1.414 times the length of a side to start with.

Round stock that size you are better off getting larger stock than trying to upset it to a usable dimension as a beginner.

Stop by and I'll give you a suitable piece for free!

Upsetting 1/2" square about drove a couple of the guys who have some experience nuts last Saturday and upsetting 1/4" is WAY trickier you spend more time straightening than upsetting. Forget a rake for now, a small stick with a trimmed branch will work if you actually need a rake. Charcoal doesn't clinker up like coal so rakes aren't nearly as necessary.

Keep the beginning to the basics, straight tapers and maybe turn a finial scroll. S and drive hooks are a good start. I recommend you buy a stick of 3/8" sq. hot rolled. It shouldn't run but around $15 and change, probably less, shipping to Alaska is a killer. That is heavy enough it won't cool right off so you get some hammer time between heats and it isn't so heavy it's hard to move. 

Frosty The Lucky.