I Forge Iron

Order to layer bricks and kaowool

Thanks for all the input fellas and hope I'm not a bother. Have a question pertaining to the kastolite I wondered if I sticks to plastic because I have access to a 3d printer and was thinking about printing a form to insert into my forge and then apply kastolite allowing me to coat all sides of my not quite circle not quite oval forge.? Thoughts ideas waste of time let me know thanks Gandalf.

Have time waiting see if buddy can make and already started backup plan. Have time didnt get silica coat on like planned was not sure if could go few days before I fire dried it and have busy schedule today thursday and friday. So more sponging of info for now till next week.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:10 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Vaseline or spray Pam to the forum.

:o I didn't think it was that kind of forum!  :rolleyes: I LOVE a good typo, thank you.

I found pam wasn't very effective but out of date Crisco worked a treat. 

I've read guys here who used linoleum rolled in a cylinder with the linoleum side facing the Kastolite and held with tape. Greased and used as a form inside or out. Once the Kastolite was set they cut the tape and either closed the inside form by pulling the overlap farther shrinking the form. Stripping an outside form was just a matter of cutting the tape and pealing it off.

In my experience Kastolite sticks to every darned thing it touches including a plastic milk just I used to mix it. I couldn't get it clean, break the large pieces off but it's far from clean.

Frosty The Lucky.