I Forge Iron

Information Needed, Kuhn Ring Element Challenge

Video the whole process SANS MUSIC! :angry: and I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to find someone to type it up and do the edits as indicated in the galleys. 

That is some wonderful work you guys are doing. I can't see what the char marks look like on a grilled side of beef.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it looks like we are actually going to successfully complete the project, we have decided to reveal the "team". It was made up of 5 members of the Athens Forge.

Travis Fleming

Ronnie Howard

Dustin Patterson

Saxton Reynolds

Al Stephens

Al made the "working drawings" based on a picture taken of a section of the fence around the schöner brunnen nürnberg, Beautiful Fountain, in Nuremburg Germany.

All work has been performed at Travis's, Artistic Anvil, in Athens Alabama.

The project will be completed with a ring frame. As in " One Ring To Bind Them All". Apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien.

Inner Rings Assebled.jpg

Thanks everybody.

Lou,  one of our first steps was to make a full size drawing. The large ring holes were laid out with dividers based off of the cross members and the working drawings.  We made a ring from square stock with  punch marks at 1" increments to figure out hole location on the six outer rings.  Al

FullSizeRender.jpg

Al: I want to thank you and your companions for having the temerity and chutzpah to undertake this puzzle project. Wonderful work the results are in keeping with the wonderful work of old we often travel well out of our way to look at.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank everyone for your kind words. We plan on finishing the project on Fri. I will get a picture and post then. There will not be a video, however I am working on notes I will post when I get them put together, and we have taken pictures throughout the process.  Al

On 7/24/2018 at 2:45 PM, PVF Al said:

There will not be a video...

Surely that's a violation of forum policy?  Maybe some NATO Accord or the Geneva Convention?

Best get to work on the second one and remember to press "record" on the camera this time!

Once again, thank you all for your kind words.  I will post a picture of finished project this evening. Still putting the pictures taken during the process together and in order, but if someone with more computer knowledge than I have can't help they will have to be posted 1-2 at a time. I almost knocked my wonderful satellite internet connection out of orbit when I tried to email the file .

Biggundoctor- The only ring that was forge welded was the outer frame ring. That was one of the many things that puzzled us during the process. Trying to figure out "how" it was done originally. Keep in mind the first one was an element in the center of a large fence section, probably 5"x6"

Al