I Forge Iron

Information Needed, Kuhn Ring Element Challenge

Hey Everybody, This picture was sent to me yesterday, maybe second or third hand. I and others are thinking about doing this as a project , but some more information would be helpful. I believe the picture was taken in Nuremberg, Germany. Don't know where, or have any idea what it is in, or overall dimensions . Hopefully someone will recognize it, and can help me narrow it down. Any information would be helpful.

Thank You

Al

iironwork 01.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas, thank you very much. There was another picture sent with the posted one that was indeed taken at schöner brunet nürnberg. I have not found another picture of the post, probably because it appears to be below the "line of site" of anyone not interested. There's a lot of interesting elements there that are worth studying, and trying. I will continue to research. Thank You again.  Al

Using Thomas's lead and time on my hands . I have found more info on the "Beautiful Fountain", and the iron work surrounding it.

http://www.beautifuliron.com/beautiful_fountain.htm

For anyone that ever thinks " What should I try today." to themselves, check it out. Plenty of ideas here. You can also fine other pictures by searching for schöner brunet nürnberg. 

One of the things I tried to do when in Germany was to buy *old* guidebooks that had pictures of iron work predating WWI when I could find them and WWII otherwise.  A lot of what you see in Modern Germany is painstaking reproductions of what was originally there pre-wars.

• 3 weeks later...

On June 18 I started a topic labeled "Information Needed". I encourage everyone to look there for further information. Since then several smiths have spent many hours on this project and there are many hours more that will be spent on it. The post title refers to the 1587 locksmith Andreas Kuhn that is credited with producing the original element. I thought I would share our progress up to now, and let everyone else join in the head scratching. Here's the pic we started with, and where we are now.  And, Yes, we have modified the design. Al

R4 & R7 Installed.JPG

The two posts and titles have been combined as they are on the same subject. 

If you are working on this project please post your results (and in progress photos) to keep the rest of us from going nuts trying to figure out how it is done. (grin)

11 hours ago, Glenn said:

... post your results (and in progress photos) to keep the rest of us from going nuts trying to figure out how it is done. (grin)

Too late. I am abso-xxxxxxxx-lutely staggered... just when I thought I had a moderately decent grasp of what's possible. (And admittedly too dang old to have fallen into that trap. Again.) "You know nothing, Jon Snow". 

Respect for attempting that. 

Had to check the link to see more of this splendid bit of work..... and found this doozy ---

IronwkNurnbrgfount_1detailpiercegril.jpg.0046aa106c456263e666b3dd3fa3b3d1.jpg

Just because doing a ring pierced with bars, or bars pierced with a ring, wasn't hard enough.... how about we do an intricate forge-weld with a couple of leaves and have them do a little piercing of their own!  :O

"Wow!" doesn't seem like it's enough of an expletive.  And to think that the ring and leaves would have had to be done when attached to the rest of the panel.  How do you plan that?  Where do you start?

It kinda makes you want to laugh when you think that this level of work really wasn't that difficult for the smiths of the time.  It's not like this is was an unheard of thing to do and there are countless examples of similar details in other places.  Today, we marvel at it, but for them it was probably just another week's work.

I have tried to keep fairly detailed notes, and pictures throughout the process. Time spent, tools made, successes , and failures. When we get done, if anyone is interested, I'll try to boil them down, and post them. I will say that there has been a lot of time spent looking, and trying to figure out "Where do we go from here", and "How do we get there." Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and encouragement.  Al

On 7/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, PVF Al said:

.... if anyone is interested, I'll try to boil them down, and post them. 

If anyone is interested?  That's a silly question!  

What you need to do is compile everything from this adventure and your past ones.... then make us a nice coffee table book that we can all buy.  I'd likely buy two copies just so I can keep on in a wrapper safely tucked away.