I Forge Iron

Missing part

Hans Richter

Actually, I know there was something missing on the new (very old, hand forged post vice), finally find out that was the ring between the turner handle and the screw box.

Made a clay pattern to fill in the missing part.

Will (bronze) cast them next week and keep you update.

Cheers, Hans

DSC00565.JPG

DSC00564.JPG

Or purchase a new one. Did I just suggest new? LOL They are not that expensive. The parts store may be closer then the junk yard.

I needed one fastener  (bolt, washer and nut) for a project. The big box store is across the street from the grocery story (one trip to do both) and I got a factory bolt to the right length, and out the door for less than $1.50, and it was installed in less time than it takes to tell about it. You sometimes have to remind yourself that just because you can make something, does not mean you have to.

Thanks for the great link Doug, attached to the post a simple sketch of the shape of the ‘lead screw washer’ (thanks to you I finally know how it’s called).  Because the LSW have to fit in to the front jaw eye and the screw knop in to the LSW, I decided to cast the LSW. Bronze also have the advantage to be self-greasing and being high pressure resistant.

Another option is to forge the washer like the one on in the link (wich needs de nessesary hardy’s and fullers I don’t have) or made one on a lathe (I don’t have eather<_<)

Thanks Glenn to, -again my ‘German disorder’ to perfection strikes , thanks for the tip -if my casting attempts fail I will follow up you wise advice:D.

Will share the progress I hope to make till next WE.

Cheers, Hans

DSC00568.JPG

Hi,

made de little fellow complete, totally forgot my friendly neighbour and his big lathe in his big cellar. He found a chunk of bronze and turned the washer according to the earlier mentioned drawing within an hour. I think he was even happy as I, to use his lathe with a purpose and supply me with the missing part. Will make a nice crafted fire poker for him to say thank you.    

DSC00578.JPG