Nives0598

Johnson no 118 furnace

So I've aquired an old Johnson no 118 furnace, but it needs a new lining inside. I'm new to blacksmithing in general, any suggestions on how I'd go about putting a new lining in? Would refractory cement work? All replies are greatly appreciated

Welcome, Shives

Please put your location in your Avatar, that is where we look to see who is close to you. OR, Who you are close to.

I have never seen ONE of those Forges, I have TWO. They were great when working at schools or Spring Shops. I have had them running, but for what I do, they are too big of Forge. Enjoy the Journey, there is no destination.

Neil

is it a trench forge type ? like 6'W about 3'L ?? if so there brick lined ** & I would cut the front out & keep lid on top  closed

or small gap to cut down on dragon breath

here is a link to Johnson's website and the 118

http://www.johnsongas.com/industrial/frn-solder.asp

I redid one many moons ago, used a Rutland castable refractory, since then have bought bags of Mizzou mix from AP Green/RH. they originally had a chicken wire re-enforcement which I had so put it back.

Just be aware the old refractory could have asbestos, don't know how old, but be safe wet it down, use proper respirators and clean and dispose of everything properly.