I Forge Iron

Nordic Whipser Baby not preforming well

justdags

I have an old one burner propane Nordic  Whisper Baby that I got used from my Farrier School when i graduated (i was young and dumb and thought that $100 used was clearly better opposed to $400 new) but to cut long story short I have found it to be a bit anemic (probably why they sold it to me ) other then that it works perfectly fine but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with  the Whisper Baby I replaced the the interior years ago when i first got it but it probably only has a few hours of burn time on it since then. Thanks in advance for anything you all might be able to help with

Post some pics if you get around to it. Unless the burner design was drastically different in years past you should have a good foundation to build on. I have the whisper mamma two burner version but I have a friend with the whisper baby one burner. Both are recent purchases so the newer burners may be better? I have the factory lining, fiber board walls and roof, fiber cloth door and hard fire brick floor. I coated that with a thin layer of cast-o-lite 3000 and then coated that with Metrikote IR reflective. Since coating it reaches welding heat at 5psi. My friends single burner is coated the same way and he welds in no problem but I don't know what pressure he's running it.

If it's been sitting idle for a while clean the burner out, including the jet. Critters like nesting in burners and spiders have been known to nest in the propane lines after crawling in through the jet. Disconnect the gas line at and remove the jet from the burner. You can hold it up and look at a bright light through it if you're careful. One squint at a light bulb or the sun and you're eyes aren't going to adjust for a while. You have to cup the fitting so the only sight line you have is through the fitting and jet.

Clean it gently with a stiff bit of fiber from the outlet end of the jet towards the fitting or carefully try blowing it clear with an air hose. ONe of those ball filler nozzles works well but be VERY CAREFUL or you might inject air into a finger or hand! This is a B-A-D-N-E-S-S THING!! 

I used to blow them out by mouth till I blew a bunch of just hatched baby spiders out on the piece of paper I used to get a look at any debris I cleared from the jet. I am not normally terribly afraid of spiders but discovering I put maybe 30 of them in my mouth had me dancing and spitting frantically while I cussed. I think I may have actually been flapping my arms too. 

The jets in my 3/4" burners are 0.035 mig contact tips and my torch tip files are perfect for cleaning them without messing them up. I've never put one in my mouth again.

Anyway, Make sure the burner is clear and clean before looking for something odd, they're good quality burners. Heck the regulator may need replacing, check it all, from jet to tank. 

Frosty The Lucky.