I Forge Iron

Peter Wright need info and advice maybe date (semi-damaged)

So a few years ago I acquired an old peter Wright but then life got in the way and it has been resting at my parents house until today when i decided that  I want to start Black-smithing so i know that this Anvil has seen some hard use well before I got it but I was wondering how much hard use it got since it is missing several of the hallmarks I think it is a rather early export  ( New Jersey USA) i took my hammer to it and she rings very nicely so i know she still has a lot left to give. I am working on getting a stump this weekend to begin setting it up and have plenty of old horse shoes to bang away on. My wife is very excited about me working with metal since she has a bit of a love affair with metal. any information on the Anvil would be greatly appreciated, i think the engraving shows up better in the picture then it does the naked eye.

KIMG0637.JPG

KIMG0638.JPG

KIMG0636.JPG

KIMG0635.JPG

Thank you I am not planning on grinding or milling it, since I have ZERO experience with either grinding or milling. I think it has a good amount of character so I am looking forward to using it.

Nice anvil. Will look much better once you have cleaned it with a wire brush mounted on a grinder, and oiled it. Automatic transmission fluid works well but stinks badly. I use a rag with some olive oil.

It has those round shoulders from doing lots of work. Will serve you for many years.

It is on the small side, depending what you are planing to make. 

Next is a good solid steel tripod to bolt it down ... then half a dozen of hammers, a dozen of tongs, a forge or two ... :)

PS

As for age ... it does not say made in England, so pre 1910 ?