I Forge Iron

forge repair

TOMTOMTOM

Hi,

I've just signed up to ask for some advice about my forge.

I bought it  at an auction without having seen it close up.

When I got it home and removed the bricks I found the Tuyiere was melted.

I'm thinking I could grind it back flat and level and attach some sort of fire pot to it. at present my options are either a brake drum/disc or an animal water bowl as per the last photo, albeit a few years older

Is this a good idea or should I just keep a look out for another tuyiere?

So what do you think I should do? All advice greatly welcome

IMG_20180610_203148.jpg

IMG_20180610_203129.jpg

IMG_20180610_202847.jpg

abreuvoir-a-valve-racord--haut-bas--p-image-36988-grande.png

Welcome aboard Tom, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. A LOT of information, especially tool and equipment information is location dependent.

That tuyere looks pretty badly burnt alright and I don't know enough about your forge to suggest repairs. I'd buy a new one were it mine or just make a new one. However I'm not sure what the rest looked like, I have to assume it's a side blast. 

I haven't seen one like the last photo you posted. It looks a lot like what we used to water our horses but doesn't have the pressure plate water valve so it's obviously something else. I assume it's a forge fire pot. I don't know how the tuyere would keep from being burned up almost immediately.

I'm sure more of the gang will be more help soon as they see your post, wish I could be more.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm not sure but I think it used to be some sort of bottom blast but the side pipe comes in through in the bricks? 

No matter what you need to rework it, and could turn it into a side blast Or bottom blast. Depends what you want to do. Does the blower work? 

What fuel do you intend to use? That would give us a direction on how to help.

Don't know about the thing in the last photo. There would be easier ways I'd think. 

If it were me, I'd just make it a side blast - cut the melted part off the end of the pipe, stack the bricks around it in a square bowl shape so the end of the pipe is tucked back from the bowl protected by brick around it, add fuel and fire it up. If I wanted to get fancy, I'd fashion a ceramic nozzle on the end of the pipe.