I Forge Iron

"Anchor" Stamped Peter Wright??? info??

Bought a 300# Peter Wright this morning. After I took the wire brush to it I found the "Peter Wright". But no other markings. Once I got down to the front right foot I seen a small 1'' X 1'' anchor stamped in it.  I was told the anvil was pulled out of Todd Shipyard 30 years ago. Anyone ever see the "Anchor" stamped in a Peter Wright?

I am working on getting some pictures posted up.  I am a computer idiot.

So I googled: peter wright anchor site:iforgeiron.com   and got 80 results

including this one from 6 years ago:

Posted May 14, 2012

Richard Postman, the author of Anvils in America believe that they were inspector's marks. Peter Wrights had numerous different stampings on the front feet and anchors were one of the common stamps.

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

So I googled: peter wright anchor site:iforgeiron.com   and got 80 results

including this one from 6 years ago:

Posted May 14, 2012

Richard Postman, the author of Anvils in America believe that they were inspector's marks. Peter Wrights had numerous different stampings on the front feet and anchors were one of the common stamps.

Thanks ThomasPowers for the info.  Seller said it was pulled from the shipyard, I was reading way to much into that statement from the seller.  LOL

37 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Learning that the search function native to the forum is not of much worth and how to use a browser search function here instead is a really good thing...You may want to read more of the hits yourself...

Thanks.  I plan too.  I was focused on a Columbian anvil.  But ended up comming home with this one.  I will be reading up on this beast.

What do you think about the condition it is in??

It's in great condition Peppie. PROVIDED it passes the rebound test, it is possible it went through a fire and the temper has been completely drawn on the face. Re-hardening an anvil is NOT a trivial task.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

It's in great condition Peppie. PROVIDED it passes the rebound test, it is possible it went through a fire and the temper has been completely drawn on the face. Re-hardening an anvil is NOT a trivial task.

Frosty The Lucky.

TY  Frosty,  The rebound is at 80%.  Less on the heel .

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

The edges are almost suspiciously sharp; might check them for welding/grinding.   Very good condition!

Looked very closely after I have taken the wire wheel (knotted 4'' grinder) to it and no signs of any welding repairs.

• 3 years later...