Sign in to follow this  
ausfire

scrap owl

I came across a few bits of scrap which suggested an owl. We don't have horned owls in Australia, but I gave it horns anyway. The owl sits on a 1" diameter wrought iron bolt bent in the forge. I like the rough layered texture of wrought and it almost has a tree bark look. The feet are the claws of two hammers and the wings are some kind of blade with the marking Planet Jnr, USA.  I have not sealed it yet but will probably give it  a coat of Rustmasters or perhaps Rustoleum Clear.

big owl 1.JPG

big owl 2.JPG

big owl 3.JPG

Ausfire, I really like that.  It's clean and intriguing.  I am not just seeing the owl, but looking at the  individual components as well and it all flows so nicely.  Very nice.

Nicely done, Ausfire.  I especially like the way you have set the eyes tilted to one side.  Gives lots of character.  Another nice creation!

Who.  :)

Nice one Aus. Has that owl stare. The old wrought bolt makes a nice stand. 

Planet jr. Makes small garden cultivators and planters if I remember right. 

17 hours ago, Ben Hoover said:

Ausfire, I really like that.  It's clean and intriguing.  I am not just seeing the owl, but looking at the  individual components as well and it all flows so nicely.  Very nice.

Thanks. I defined the body with two plough spikes (not sure if that's what they're called) and just filled in the rest, trying to maintain some symmetry.

16 hours ago, tkunkel said:

Nicely done, Ausfire.  I especially like the way you have set the eyes tilted to one side.  Gives lots of character.  Another nice creation!

When I first set out the parts I had the head vertical, eyes horizontal. The tilted quizzical look won out.

15 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Who.  :)

Nice one Aus. Has that owl stare. The old wrought bolt makes a nice stand. 

Planet jr. Makes small garden cultivators and planters if I remember right. 

No, Woof Woof. (We have barking owls here! ) Yes, the Planet bits look like they could have come off a rotary cultivator. Spring steel and hard to drill.

Barking owls... next what? Haha. I could see someone complaining that their neighbors dog was up all night barking...

Guess it still doesn't compare to all the sounds a lyre bird can make. 

I'd have thought the Scrap owl would make more of a screeching almost like metal on metal. ;)

The owl is super cool