I Forge Iron

Forging candlesticks with square bar

Gustav

Hey

I want to begin hand forging candlesticks/candleholders but I don't know if that's possible with 14 mm square bar. Do I need to order other dimensions or is it possible as it is? Maybe upsetting the bar will help? The real difficulty here is to be able to forge out the cone, the rest is all set. I've seen some people use pipes, but I'd really like not to do that.

//Eophex

Greetings Eophex,

Another alternative to a cone is a flat spiral. Pictures below are 1/2 square bar 24 inches long no welds or interruptions . I did this one as a challenge but you get the idea on the spiral.  Have fun .

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

C69EBA40-AB68-4D73-A342-37DDEC8F5C2E.jpeg

F0EE5B10-D722-4C03-BCB2-49D59A75B5F8.jpeg

On 6/5/2018 at 1:30 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Look at examples of people forging cones for things like spear handles, arrow heads, even shovels or calla lilies. A good cross peen on your hammer and a swage and a bick to curl and true the cone and you're there.

Yeah that's true. It's the same technique when forging stuff like that. Never thought about that!

On 6/5/2018 at 1:56 PM, Jim Coke said:

Another alternative to a cone is a flat spiral. I did this one as a challenge but you get the idea on the spiral.

That's amazing work! Might be too advanced for someone like me, but I might try making a more basic version.

Look up "courting candle" for an example of spiraling stock to hold candles (both flat and round stock have been used).  I do them from 1/4" sq stock and flatten the section to spiral and spiral them around a piece of pipe for a mandrel (remove the pipe!)   For 1/2" sq stock you could slit it into 4 1/4" pieces and flatten and spiral all 4 of them for a group of candles. (bending them out where the slits end to space them from each other of course.)

Note their use to limit time spent by a couple courting seems to be more of an urban legend.