I Forge Iron

North Georgia Newbie..

Georgia boy, obviously.  Well, about fifty summers past being called a boy, but you get the idea.  Been lurking and reading, already seen where JHCC tells all us newbs to read this, so I done read it, and completely agree.  Love the honesty of the search feature sucking.  But is alright, Google does indeed pick up the slack.

Spent the last fifteen years working in an office, to the point where the wife calls me the world's Tallest Who.  So one of my sons and I have decided to get into forging knives.  Thanks to the wealth of information found on here, I already ordered a one burner forge to start with, (Devil Forge. I know it will be needing some tweaking, but, until I get enough nickels to buy a welder and some other tools where I can actually make my own, it will do).

Now the search is on for files, and other basic hand tools.  Got a friend who may have a tree stump to go look at tomorrow, and then I am, hopefully, going to be pounding steel soon.

Yes, I fully intend to ask lots of stupid, monotonous questions if Google Fu is not up to snuff folks.  Glad to be here, and I am going to do my best to chronicle my journey from wet behind the ears to 'mildly competent'.   

27 minutes ago, Ben Hoover said:

already seen where JHCC tells all us newbs to read this, so I done read it, and completely agree. 

Well golly, what am I supposed to tell you now?

Welcome to IFI!

When you search some topic on this site, use Google, or other search engine and add 'iforgeiron' to your search phrase. The search feature, on this site is not good.

Happy searching.

SLAG.

The Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association meets the third Saturday of each month is shops around the greater Atlanta area.

Check out their web-site http://www.alexbealer.org for information for the next meeting and directions.  It is in the Conyers area.  July meeting is in Mineral Bluff, GA.

Wayne.

Thanks Gentlemen.  WayneCoe,  sadly I work Saturdays and don't get off until later in the evening.  Hopefully when my schedule changes in a few months I will have some time to attend the meetings, since Atlanta is about a ninety minute drive.

Charles R. Stevens, I have noticed that, but I also research pretty heavily and realize that, when it comes to forging, I am pretty close to Helen Keller as a traffic director.  It's gonna end badly for a while.  I will happily absorb information from the Oracles upon this site, and just as gladly thank them for providing it.

Have a drive tomorrow to a friends, he stated he has a stump and I am welcome to come see if I want it, so maybe I will have a stand to use.

If not, I have no issues with building a stand out of laminated.  

Well, just got the tracking number for my forge. Shipped faster than expected, so I may get to hammering faster than expected. 

Already have my plan laid out to start, and no two handed great swords are involved.  I think I'll start simple with a bottle opener and tongs, working off the KISS acronym.

Well, got my little single burner forge sitting in the corner, and there it shall stay until I feel comfortable enough about  coating the kaowool with either rigidizer or satanite or whatever winds up being the solution to getting to use it safely. 

Going to probably be getting my anvil and sander next week, order the other things I figure out I need along the way (I live in a one horse town and someone stole the horse, so ordering or long drives are the norm).

But all will wait  until I get this kaowool thing figured out.  There are a LOT of stickies and info on here.