I Forge Iron

Quick & Dirty Tools "SOLD OUT" ??

SLAG

I was just searching the net for various items and chanced upon the Quick & Dirty Tool Company web site.

I noticed that each and every item that is featured for sale is denoted as "sold Out".

Is there something wrong with their web site, or the company?

Are they out of business?

Information concerning this question would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SLAG.

To Messrs. B.G.D.,  wpearson,  tKunkel, 

Thank you for your responses to my query. It is appreciated.

Hopefully said owner's surgery will heal up successfully and soon & the business will continue.

I was planning on buying some tongs shortly.

SLAG.

Larry and Andy Blakney were making tongs, as well as other things. They had a devastating fire in their shop several years ago and that shut them down for a while. In the interim, Larry wanted to delve into other ventures related to blacksmithing, power equipment etc. The result was that Andy became the one man band making the Q&D tongs along with some other items while Larry pursued his ventures, both in a very amicable relationship. Sorry to hear Andy may have gone under the knife, but best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

As mentioned before, condolences to the family and friends of Larry.

Hello.  Andy just had shoulder surgery last week.  I'm heading over to his shop in an hour or so to see how I can help him maintain his business while rehabbing.  I mentioned yesterday that I read this post and he said that he planned on this surgery so made a bunch of tongs ahead, and said he has a decent inventory.  

My suggestion is to try contacting him again, and if no luck feel free to contact me directly and I'll try to get answers.

as always

peace and love

billyO

Mr.billyO,

States that Mr. Andy Blakney had surgery and he

" made a bunch of tongs ahead, and said he has a decent inventory. "

But every item featured,  for sale on,  the "Quick & Dirty"  web site features a picture of each item with the phrase "sold out" beneath the picture.

I hope that Mr. Blakeney is recovering and that Quick & Dirty tools is not defunct.

SLAG.

SLAG.  He has quite a bit of inventory saved up for this period.   I saw plenty today.  In fact I'm going back next week to pack up and ship orders for him while he is restricted from lifting over 3#.  He told me today that he has been focusing so much on getting product made/preparing for his surgery that he has neglected updating the website.  

Also, he's training another friend and I how to make the tongs and we'll be helping him keep up with his inventory, so don't worry, he'll be back in 6-8 weeks and will probably update his site soon, now that he's out of the acute stage of healing.

Feel free to contact him with an order, if he doesn't get back, I can play middle man.  

as always

peace and love

billyO

Mr. billyO,

I appreciate your quick response and information. You are a gentleman.

It is really good news.

I can relate to the doctor's order not to lift more than 3 pounds. I too had a doctor imposed a10 pound limit,  January, after my abdominal hernia surgery.

I hope his procedure turns out to be as successful as mine was.

I am no longer an invalid with restricted movement.

Regards,

SLAG.

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Following your Dr's orders is often a great way to get well sooner! (I've tried it both ways and not following them was much more OUCHY over the long term!)

I'll have to modify that a bit, Thomas.  For most orthopedic surgeries, following you PT's order is the way...(but I may be biased, being a PT for the past 22 years....)

as always

peace and love

billyO

My brother went through intensive PT for years: he told me "Never tell your PT it doesn't hurt---it's supposed to hurt and they will do whatever is necessary to make it so!"    Not my experience at all; but then my PT has been fairly limited.  (I remember PT after shoulder surgery for a bone spur when my PT asked me if anything was still troubling me and I mentioned my arm being weak so they braced their 250# self against it and told me to push---their eyes got bigger and bigger as I was pushing them across the floor and I was complaining that it used to be much stronger....smithing can do that...)

OTOH I started hard physical labour too soon after an old school emergency gall bladder removal---the old sabre to the belly muscles one.  It hurt, adhesions hurt, breaking adhesions hurts.  Supporting my family was my honour and duty---even when it hurts!

SLAG - not sure what you're interested in, but if it's a beginner's set, I packed up 7 sets today ready to ship.  You can order through either his website or on line called 36Grit.  If it's a specific pair of tongs or set, let me know and I'll see when we have those ready and let you know.

Thomas - If it hurts, don't do it.  There's only a couple of conditions where no pain no gain actually means something.  Usually when someone doesn't do their rehab after surgery and let the soft tissue shrink, and wee need to stretch it out, because the patient didn't.  As related to the shoulder, there's a condition called "Frozen shoulder" where the soft tissue in the joint shrinks/tightens and the PT's job is to stretch it out again.  But even then, if there's no improvement after 6 or so weeks, then we stop and let it run it's course, usually resolving with as normal use as tolerated over a year or 2.

• 2 weeks later...