I Forge Iron

hello

You might find that trying to start anthracite coal with a map has torch a little tough. Might want to start with come charcoal or smaller wood fire then start adding in the anthracite once that is going. Also anthracite coal needs more and more constant air to keep it going. Most prefer bituminous coal but the anthracite at tsc is all they can locate affordably. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give it a shot. not gunna get a fire going today. if this was a couple hours ago I'd give it a go but it's to late in the day now. but the forge is done. only took trying to put a round peg in a square hole every step of the way but it's done. 

20180605_154321.jpg

yea I can see that. when I bought the box 6 years ago I didn't thing I'd ever be turning it into a forge and anvil stand. hope the bottom box holds up. can't find any stumps tall enough. plus I like the idea of this all being able to be easily moved around. the box was just some 100$ El chepo starter tool box I bought when I was first starting out as a mechanic. (I've worn many hats) 

eventually id like to go gas. but this was the easiest way to get started. and i have alot to learn about forge design and operation before i attempt to build a gas forge. so hopefully by the time id like a table to have extra fuel ready to go into the fire ill be ready to build a nice gas forge

40 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Cheap lump or cheap briquette?

just some cheap insta light. smells like they were soaked in lighter fluid. it got the coal started is all that matters tho

14 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Show us pictures of what you make!

all I did today was try to make a 6 inch 1/4 inch thick peice of steel a thinner peice of longer steel 

I dunno how you just find a file in your driveway without knowing who was there that lost it. Good for you tho. I get files all over for dirt cheap. Auctions in box lots, fleamarkets, the restore when they are too nice to pass up.... 

I passed on hf files. They are junky. And expensive for what they are.