I Forge Iron

hello

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet lol. Workin on it. I make scrap metal sculptures and this is a good show for them. I dont have as much forged stuff as I'd like for this show but I was under the gun and I just can't keep stock on the shelves. With a full time day job and a month old baby forge time is a little tighter. 

so I did some more reading and googling. coal seems like the better choice for what I'm building. and the charcoal I found for before was 15 bucks for a 10 pound bag and i found coal for 25 bucks for 50 pounds. so all around better choice from what I see. anyone else confirm this? 

this is where I found the coal btw link removed

I can't rember, who said coal was the better choice? yea you told me so...

I haven't bought it yet and your correct. the shipping was more then the coal :blink:

found a thread talkin bout tractor supply coal. and they seem to like it from what I've gathered. 6 or 7 bucks for 49 pounds? yes please. I'll be picking up a few bags Tuesday most likely. still gotta work ok the air pipeing. sense I changed the fuel from charcoal to coal the pipe I made isn't gunna work. leaky is an understatement. so I'm gunna use exhuast pipe. I'll weld a straight pipe to a y pipe. one side air other side ash dump. it'll be better this way 

and I'll put some mesh or a grate ontop of it to keep everything but ash in the rotor. the people that were talkin bout the coal I'm gunna use were kinda spit between rice size and nut size so I'll probably get a bag of each and see what I prefer. for starting it I plan to use my map gas torch. that thing is a life saver sometimes. 

Boattlebot, I start my coal forge with a mapp torch too, but I clear the grate and put a hand full of lump charcoal on it. I light the charcoal with the torch and begin to give it air then I pull in coal a little at a time until the fire reaches a good forging state. This way produced little smoke as opposed to lighting the coal directly, and in my opinion is more effective than using wood, paper, kerosene, etc.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:51 AM, Charles R. Stevens said:

What’s the fun in that?

I know right?

elements, I'll give it a shot when I go to light my first fire. hopefully should be up and running by the end of tuesday

I dun figured some of the Mods, they who must not be named, like to watch as some of us race to get our posts cleaned up before the time limit expires.  (My browser seems to have lost my labouriously annotated internal dictionary and frankly a lot of its suggested choices do not make any sense to me at all! Like confusing fear of spiders,  arachnophobia, with fear of sharp pointy things, aichmophobia. )

Learned that from a Science Fiction book back in the 60's?  RAH's "Glory Road"????

And I worked with a fellow that had it.  He'd pass out getting a shot from a DR.  He told of the "getting ready to ship out shots" in the service  and of passing out before he reached the head of the line and waking up to everyone steeping over him...still had to get the shots; they were not kind enough to delegate a couple of soldiers to drag him through the shot line and let him recover on the other side.

Thomas,

Thanks for the new (to me), word   'aichmophobia'.

What a wonderful find!

I have been collecting English words for most of my life. It's a cheap and fascinating hobby.

It means fear of needles but, also,  sharp instruments.

I have just discovered that it has a synonym 'beloNophobia' also spelled 'beloMophobia'. (the difference is denoted in caps).

Regards,

SLAG.

Both Merriam-Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary websites offer a "word-a-day" email subscription. The OED one in particular offers up some anachronistic gems.

This reminds me of something my Ancient Greek professor (later my advisor) said once in class (and you must imagine this with a strong Brooklyn accent): "My foist job outta college was woikin' for Merriam-Webseh, da dictionary people. One ting I loyned: NEVAH TRUST DA DICTIONARY!"