I Forge Iron

Post vise pick-up

K-9JAX

Hi everyone,

I found this post leg vise on line.  Drove out to see it in person and ended up buying it.  Can’t find any name, logo or trademark on it, so I do not know who made it.  It has 5 inch jaws and is mounted to the pedestal in the pics.  The vise itself weighs around 65 - 70 lbs.  I paid $125 for it.  I believe the price was good, but I’d like some opinions on that.  Regardless, I plan on putting it to good use.  Also, if anyone can suggest a possible manufacturer, let me know.  Not sure that the pics will do any good for identification purposes.  Thanks in advance!

E0F5DAFC-4AFF-4415-B763-61759756B0EE.jpeg

0161325A-B760-4FE2-ACDC-06DB4FC8587E.jpeg

33C82684-0462-447C-A5DE-857049DBF5FF.jpeg

Screw shows signs of wear but looks to be still in a  usable condition.  As these vises were made by a large number of manufacturers you may never know the maker.

I see that you are mounting it high; are you tall or just plan to use it for lighter work?

I am not tall.  When I bought the vise, it was already mounted to  the pedestal by its previous owner.  

Can I ask what you are noticing about the screw?  It is most likely my inexperience, but I thought it appeared to be in decent shape. It opens and closes nicely.  

Threads on the screw should be square.  Rounding on the threads means it has wear.

As for the mounting...  

If you decided to keep the current mount setup, you will want to bolt it to the floor.  When you start twisting the vise will twist if not secured.  Another option is to extend the base out further so you can stand on it while working at the vise.  That way when you twist your work, your weight will help counter the movement of the vise.

Other than the threads, it looks like all the parts are there (except the tip of the mounting plate. Should be 3 holes).  $125 for a complete, 5" vise is not a bad price.