I Forge Iron

Hi from the Center of the North East, USA (MA)

SLS

Hi,

This site is a great place to learn and get ideas. I have a bunch of old smithing books but the ideas here are way better. I have been active since getting my own place in the woods in 1984. Spent last summer sprucing up and making a backup hairdryer forge, if something should happen to my 1945 rivet forge. I had made big peavy's, picaroons with a 10 pound hand hammer on my 175 lb PW anvil but those days are over. Please stop in for a tour if you are in the area. As far as I know, this is the only blacksmith shop in Shrewsbury, or even Northboro, Grafton, or Boylston.

I have titanium sheet, rod, tools and the famous crowbar of 1997. I have cast lots of aluminum art, brass, bronze, lead, and zinc. I even cast 5lbs of thermit steel. That was nerve wracking with the sparks shooting 20 feet and the reactor shaking left and right violently. Guess filling it 1/3 full was Too Much.

Steve Stillman

HugeLogPeavyBySS1992.jpg

CoalForgeFromLawnmowerBackBySS3Jul2017.jpg

FoliageBlacksmithShop20oct12.jpg

BarkSpudForgeSLS3made.jpg

TempHeatColors3BySS.png

CornerChiselsSocketHickoryBySS1992.jpg

StillmanBlacksmithShopSeeFireproofCharcoalBinAlumPile3Jul2017.jpg

Welcome SLS.  When I was growing up we called that peavy a "cant hook"  Don't ask me why, thats just what my dad and granddad called them.   Love your workshop. At first I thought it was a postcard pic untill I saw the 2nd pic.