I Forge Iron

Memorial day

All to often we forget that today is set aside to remember the men and women who died fighting for the cause and idea that is the great experiament. We need to remember them, but just as importantly the families who gave them up for us. My heart felt thanks and condolences, wile I draw breath your sacrifice will not be in vain.

I believe Memorial Day was established to remember ALL who have gone before us not just those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to give us the freedom to say what we wish without having to worry about the gvt. stepping on us or imprisoning us.

I offer my solemn memories all who have passed before us. Today I remember: my Parents, Grand Parents, Ancestors known and unknown. I hold dear the memory of those who gave the ultimate for my freedom. 

I made and gave this gift in memory of the husband of an old friend we don't see often enough but I remember him and some of his silly attempts to build things and the good times we had fixing. I think I'll spend a little time in the shop today making small spread crosses and donate them to the church to sell.

CROSS1.thumb.jpg.b9f2692e6cd16a4832dce613223f159d.jpg

I'll remember every time I strike the anvil and I'll ring the small ships bell on the porch.

I pray right now I remember them always. I ask whoever you pray to, your deity blesses you, now and always. I have been, I'm living proof prayer works. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Memorial Day or Decoration Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day – Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, whereas Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans. It is also not to be confused with Armed Forces Day, a minor U.S. remembrance celebrated earlier in May, which specifically honors those currently serving in the U.S. military. Reference Wiki

We remember and thank them all. THANK YOU.

cheers Glenn, was wondering about this day you celebrate, what it was based on.

In Australia we have two main days we remember those who served,

Anzac day, 25th April, which commemorates the start of a battle at Gallipoli in Turkey in 1915 (Which we eventually lost with great loss of life )

Armistice day, 11th November, which commemorates the end of the great war (world war one).

There are other days, but those are the ones mostly observed, only Anzac day is a public holiday.

It was based on people getting together to decorate the graves of soldiers from the American Civil War (1861-1865); hence why Decoration Day is another name for it.

It gradually merged to a single date (the different sides and places held it different days) and is traditionally in my neck of the woods the day when families get together and clean up the  graveyards and decorate the veterans graves with flags and flowers.

Jackdawg mentioned our Anzac Day which we celebrated last month. Beside the cenotaph in our town the Red Cross wanted a memorial featuring a forged steel long-stem rose which I was asked to make. It is attached to a rock with a memorial plaque The Rose of No Man's Land. We must remember those who served.

DSC_2693.jpg