I Forge Iron

Wall anchor or washer

Had any one made forged wall anchors or washers for sale and if so are there any  special considerations as to type of steel to be used so they are structurally sound.

Also what is the price range for these. Have added a pic as an example 

hook.jpg

For instance if they want a 2 inch circle washer, you should be able to use a 3 or 4 inch square. If you use a 3x6 inch piece of metal with a center hole, you could do what ever you want with the steel on the ends or the 2 inch circle required. 

Several years ago Pete Fels made tie plates for the beam joints and construction of his home. Very decorative with lots of weirdness involved. Building inspector said no. Second inspector looked at the thickness of the steel (thicker and larger than the noncriminal material suggested and with more bolts used) and approved the project as it was much stronger than required.

Thanks. Here is another pic of one on a brick wall to give an idea of scale.  These I’d be making would be for a brick and beam structure. They look simple enough but I assume some issue with building codes would impact how they are made and what they are made from. 

8DCA246A-CD06-4D4F-815D-8CA68E8EF729.jpeg

Think of the design from the standpoint of holding the bold head under tension and not sucking through the metal. 

A washer of the proper size could be recommended. Material cut into a diamond shape would have more surface area to hold against the building. You should be able do what ever you wish with any extra material beyond the required circle. For instance make the diamond into a throwing star. Or extend the points and make scrolls. Lots of possibilities. 

You could make them from mild steel and be within code, I'm sure.  The key part is the area right where the bolt passes through.  You can't have that surface area too small or it won't distribute the load sufficiently.

As you get out away from the center, the amount of load bearing transferred drops off considerably, especially since the ends aren't connected to anything.  The flex and twist in the steel doesn't need to be much.

On that last pic, I'd expect something at least 1/4" thick.  Note the raised ridges that help to stiffen the metal nearest to the bolt.  That's an important feature you should plan on.

If you incorporate an appropriate (code compliant ) washer between the bolt head and wall anchor I should imagine that regardless of the material used to make the anchor you have satisfied required code and added additional in the form of ornatentation. which you could then make as robust or as fine as you wish. Or at least make provision to install a washer if the inspector requires you to do so.

Fsind; making allowable items for structural use is TOTALLY based on where you are at---which you have not mentioned. Around 150 countries are involved on this site on the World Wide Web; the answers in over 100 of them probably do not apply to you (and the prices in even more would not apply).  Can you post enough information for your question to be answered?

For instance Earthquake zones often have more stringent requirements than tectonically stable areas.  Adobe walls will need different amounts of contact surface than brick or stone or wooden ones.

Thanks all. Helpful input. This is a US location. Build site is small city in Tennessee. At this point all I know is the structure is a residence with brick walls and oak timber framing. The city has codes and inspectors. I’ll get more details from the builders. 

Made a lot of this guy’s in the past. For replacement, refurbishing or extensions of historic buildings. Not familiar with washers or screws.

Funny thing on this wall anchor’s is, you can see on the smiths marks which confession the first owner of the building was following. The X (Andrew Cross) for the catholic owner and the ‘Z’  for the protestants. I mostly forged the ‘Z’ in my region.

Muuranker.JPG

Muuranker 2.JPG

41 minutes ago, FSind said:

US location. Build site is small city in Tennessee. 

Welcome to IFI,  We won't remember that once we leave this thread.

To get the best out of the forum, I always recommend this thread.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/