I Forge Iron

What did I miss?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fearlessness in Girls is the sign of a good father..    once the teenage years sets in, that fearlessness creates worry in Fathers..   TP.. Sounds like you did good.. :)

Personally I would look at the Peddinghaus 165lbs if I was just getting into the game..   Decent enough price.. well made, double horn..  Drop forged.. 1" hardie hole which is now the most common size for new anvils..    

I raised my kids on a steady diet of The Addams Family, Gahan Wilson, SF, Monty Python, The Goon Show,...I tried my best to keep the family streak of weirdness strong in them. I am very happy I succeeded.

To quote the Goon Show: "I talk to the trees; that's why they put me away..."

I tell my girls all the time to be brave as they face things that cause them fear.  Just the other day I overheard the younger one telling the older one that she could do it and just to be brave as to something they were doing.  I also instill in them that we never quit.  Took my girls to a family function and they just wanted to play in the creek, yet they love to dress like princesses and play with dolls / stuffed animals.  I think I'm on the right track JLP!!  

It is humbling sometimes to realize the limits of how much one can and cannot do as a parent. My daughter had a horrible time in middle and high schools (including but not limited to some horrible bullying that the schools refused to even acknowledge, let alone address), but as bad as that was, it has been amazing to see how she has seized the reins of her life since she went off to college. Should have known that you couldn't keep someone born in a New York City taxicab down forever!

JHCC,  Peer pressure and bullying are 2 of the greatest foes girls are exposed to everyday on top of commercials and rewards for the perfect body shape and beauty...

All through school can be a problem but middle school and high school can be extremely difficult..  thus just keep instilling self worth as a singular person vs as a group looking for approval..

Ive never been one to follow the pack, but it doesnt mean it was easier..

Now i think things are much more tempered as to people being open to other activities amongst the younger generation as they see the women and men on a more equal playing field..  stay at home dads, and such.. still not perfect..

Parents form a lot of beliefs in their children at early age and the parents dont even realize it.. good and bad..

My parents always told me i can do what ever i want, good or bad..  whichever i chose i was responsible for the choice..

More women involved in extra activities like forging, knife making, as well as male dominated sports..

I get about 50/50 at demos.  With women saying its a mans job and others congratulating me for taking an active role..

Men always question ability until they see the results and i win the seal of approval.  Men do not like to be told what to do.. no matter how experienced they may be.. but this has also changed some with some men hungry for knowledge and dont care where it comes from as long as its solid info..

McHammer..  excellent.. lotta love in those words from both you guys..  :)

Nothing more satisfying than seeing your 100# daughter with cerebral palsy sitting on the radiator core support in a dress cussing her car. Even beter when she acualy knows how to fix it. 

Dont even get me started in schools and bullying or who the heck decided that women should look like teenage boys in fashion magazines

I come from a long line of Southern Farm Women; the kind that can butcher a hog, fix the tractor and plow the back 40, feed a harvest crew, use a wood cookstove, (maybe run shine---I never asked!), and then show up in a dress looking like they are a fragile flower needing to be cosseted...Many of them lived into their 90's

Being competent in various life skills was prominent on my list of "must haves in a wife" and I sure lucked out!  (34 years the first week of August and yes she can cook on a wood cookstove and feed a hoard of people...)

Mor importantly she puts up with you, TP. When we get down to brass tacks that’s the first thing on the list, some one who suffers from the delusion that we are wonderful.

its funny dealing with my oldest and her best friend, they keep accusing me of being sexist. The have not figured out the truth of the mater, they are in their twenties, and I think most folks in their twenties are fools, has nothing to do with the number of X’s in your comasomes. 

JHCC – be proud on your daughter, she give it a try. Also proud on my ‘little’ girl (Mini Woman) Lisa during the casting sessions and preparing. She makes the pattern. However the little & big girls didn’t like sparks fleeing all over the place, I discover.

And yes Charles –this is the next generation at least inspired by FIF

DSC00320.JPG

DSC00299.JPG

DSC00348.JPG

Well, my using the opening stanza of Homer’s Iliad as a lullaby seems to have influenced my daughter’s decision to major in Classics. Whether that’s a good thing or a bad, is open to debate.

My dear Charles, you really deserve the title of a (grumpy) ‘Apprentice Curmudgeon’.

So far as I remember my grandparents complain about the attitude of my parents, my parents (still) complain about my attitude and (how wonders) I start to complain about the attitude of my child. Funny isn’t it.

However my grandparents bring my parents up to a role model for me, my parents raced me (after some resilience) to a good housefather, and I hope Lisa will stand on hear own foots as well with some support of us.

Keep on trusting, even the silly statements you hear now -my older, wiser smith brother.

Cheers, Hans