I Forge Iron

Butte Montana Anvil

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and could use some help identifying a large anvil I just purchased. It originally came from Butte Montana when it was rescued from a scrap pile years back when the Anaconda Copper Company shut down. It weighs 346 pounds according to my old doctors scale. The only markings I could find are on the front of the base. I’m pretty sure the left side says 350. The right side is hard to make out but it looks like it starts with the letter A and then has numbers after it. Possibly A155 then unreadable, or A73 then unreadable, hard to say. Any help would be much appreciated!

anvil1.JPG

anvil 3.JPG

anvil 5.JPG

anvil 7.JPG

anvil 2.JPG

anvil 4.JPG

anvil 6.JPG

Thanks Daswulf and Irondragon!
Rebound is between 70-90% depending on where I bounce the bearing, and the ring is good.  I was really excited to find this one, as I had family working in Butte in the early 1900's. 
Almost broke my back unloading this today when the boards slipped out from under me.  Thankfully I am just a little sore.  I searched through all the Trenton posts and couldn't find any similar looking one's to compare age.  

Does anyone have any ideas on age, metal used, or manufacturing facility on this one?  I am ordering Anvils in America tonight but I thought there might be someone who has an eye for different types of Trenton's.  

If you could decipher the numbers on the right side of the front of the foot, that would tell you. Otherwise it's a guess.

Trentons were made at the Columbus Forge and Iron Company in Columbus, Ohio, which, I believe, ran from 1898 to 1952,  or earlier Trentons were made in Germany.

• 8 months later...