I Forge Iron

Fontanini vs Nimba

Hello all, new to this forum and looking for some guidance. Upgrading and looking at the Fontanini 460 and Nimba Gladiator. Refflinghaus is just too far a reach for me to justify financially, and I’m certainly partial to supporting American. I am leaning toward the Fontanini. Any thoughts or experiences with these anvils? Currently use a 229# Peter Wright and a 104# Hay Budden. Thanks for any advice!

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike.

There is a comparison thread already.

Kudos to you, be an American, buy American.

Both are great anvils, both made from the same alloy. (Early Fontanini anvils were made from H13, almost ridiculous overkill unless one solely worked stainless.)

The Fontanini has a couple extra features, the prices are very similar but one can buy an unfinished Fontanini and save a couple hunge.

4 hours ago, Mike Cross said:

Thanks for the tip!

Mike, I would love to sell you an anvil or at least let you see what we are up to. My facebook page, Holland Anvil is my link to the outside world at the moment and you can contact me there if you would like. We pour H13 frequently and love the way it hardens, that is why we chose it. I appreciate being mentioned with Fontanini and Nimbas as they are terrific tools and the castings are made in the USA. Have a fine day and buy American, it matters! Cheers

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

If you're looking for a new American anvil, also consider Holland Anvils (IFI member foundryguy), which makes a 444 lb. double-horn anvil in H13. 

Thank you for thinking of me. We are casting a couple of 250 double horns this week. Swage blocks are in the planning stage as well. 

440doublehorn.jpg

Thanks on the anvil coments, so far so good. I think we have sold around 20, mostly the 85 lb.  My son Hobie is studying Chemical Engineering at Western Michigan University and is helping us out for the Summer. He is rocking some dread locks but hopefully not for long. 

Foundryman, I’m glad we have more American choices in new anvils, and that you chose to use tool steel as opposed to ductile iron. For those that think H13 would be used just because of it’s hot hardness, and thus overkill, not so. It is an outrageously tough steel, it actually has Charpy notch break test values HIGHER than S7, which is a steel designed specifically to handle shock without cracking.