I Forge Iron

What Would Your Anvil Say?

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Frosty;        SUMMER IS COMING!

Tell me about it! I had to turn the air conditioning on in the car today, it was almost 60!! :o

That was a good one J.

Frosty The Lucky.

1) "HIT IT THEN!!! "

2) "You know the metal belongs on me, not under me right?"

3) "Will you PLEASE remember a hot cut plate next time? I look like I've been whipped... "

Oh... and "Thanks for saving me from being some neglected lawn ornament, you;re the best ;) "

28 minutes ago, Nick Owen said:

3) "Will you PLEASE remember a hot cut plate next time? I look like I've been whipped... "

My Soderfors would be laughing at the idea of needing a cut plate to protect Her, she'd sing something like, "Go ahead dummy, hit it HARD! It's your chisel, punch or whatever. Hit it REAL hard, I'm hungry."

I turn cold chisels into veiners by giving them one good blow with a 3-4 lb. hammer on my Sorceress. Flattens a chisel and doesn't leave a mark on her. She leaves flat spots or long dents on your rounding hammer for every missed blow too. New guys at meetings tend to hit the edges shouldering a piece and I get to dress my hammers when I get them home. 

Another thing she might say is, "Don't like sharp files? I'll take it skating for you." A brand new sharp file skates on her, only mark is dirt and any rust forming, otherwise no trace. 

Frosty The Lucky.

10 minutes ago, Frosty said:

My Soderfors would be laughing at the idea of needing a cut plate to protect Her, she'd sing something like, "Go ahead dummy, hit it HARD! It's your chisel, punch or whatever. Hit it REAL hard, I'm hungry."

I think my anvil is the softest thing in my toolkit by the way it takes a mark :P She will do just fine as long as I stop hitting it with pointed and bladed items though :) 

Cast Swedish steel anvils are arguably too hard, chipped edges are common. My Trenton takes a mark as it flattens hot cuts and she's probably the high side of average. I have a cutting plate saddle for the Sorceress and a bolster for punching. Having to dress struck tools every time you let them touch her is tiresome. My true inspiration for making the bolster was when I turned a punch into a BIG rivet. It wasn't even hot and the end got headed.

Cast Swedish steel anvils aren't the only excellent anvil but they're about as good as it gets. I'll bet you see a LOT more where you live, heck might not even bee too expensive to ship one from Scandinavia. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Probably true, I never really see much in the way of old world craft stuff around my area though. I'm sure they're squirrelled away somewhere but seems like most of the forging equipment makes it out to the south or north of England. I bet you probably find British ideas of something being too far away pretty quaint but I rarely drive more than 10 minutes anywhere around here. Iron Dwarf is my closest forge guy and that's an exceptionally long ( ;) ) 40 minute journey from me! :P 

I wish there were a few more members from around my area on here!

How come you have more than one anvil? (If you don't mind me asking!) 

3 hours ago, Nick Owen said:

How come you have more than one anvil? (If you don't mind me asking!) 

I bought the Trenton while Deb and I were hauling her stuff up from Michigan, we had a 23' box van and room so shipping didn't enter into the price. I was still overcoming my earlier thinking about blacksmithing and "thought" I needed a heavier anvil. The Soderfors is 125 lbs. and EVERYBODY knows :rolleyes: a REAL blacksmith needs at least a 250 lb. anvil. The Trenton is 206 lbs. but close enough, smithing tools are really hard to come by here. 

That's the main reason I have two anvils, not counting the little 70 lb? one Dad gave me a couple years later, it has a badly damaged face I haven't given much thought to repairing. Funny thing is, I rarely use the Trenton, not because its not a good anvil but the Soderfors moves metal better and it's easier to move around.

Of course you guys that side of the pond are weird (quaint:rolleyes:). Everybody's weird. It must be pretty nice being able to get everything you need so close to home.

Frosty The Lucky.

My vulcan: don't forget i was you first true love!!!

My PAA: i cant belive you had me on Craigslist! I see how you treat your new anvil's.

My 1700's anvil: you drove over 1500 miles round trip to get me and you havent even mounted me and given me a beating! Its been ages sense I've been kissed by hot steel! 

Fisher sawers anvil: i have been tied to a horse in a field for God's know how long... I've been craped on, stepped on, rained on and almost everything you can imagine. If it wasn'tfor you i would still be a horse anchor. Thank you...your my hero!