I Forge Iron

Water barrel always gets rank

use a stainless beer barrel that found at the tip,wine barrels made of french oak last for ever if looked after,the barrels came from down south  u.s.a.and were used in storing  bourbon whiskey,the wineries used them for their ports and other fortified wines then sold them for 50 bucks,most the same size as a 44

Bought me one of those Jack Daniels half barrels from the big box store last month.  Yeah, any bucket with water works, but you have to admit the half barrels look really cool!  It will be functional too and give just a small nod to the blacksmiths of old.  That thing smelled so bad of Jack Daniels that I was worried about what would happen if I got pulled over.  

01916a1fd424ba9ea7c9617f25e4175f766ef41f6c.thumb.jpg.1f07f8db97bc25e17a0f8b025bd191d3.jpg

Mine is plastic it doesn't rust.   IT is from a previous pool DE filter.   BUt don't see why any plastic tub would not work.    Just don't poke it with hot metal.   This is relatively thick maybe 1/4" or so maybe more.   Has to hold pool pump pressure.    So thicker than a plastic trash bin and pretty sturdy.    Drifts usually live in the flange holes for easy access and quench cooling.   

• 3 weeks later...

I use a large wine barrel (wood).  Put a trough heater in it in the winter to keep it from freezing.  Put a BBQ grill grating on it to keep out critters (drowning).  Put a mosquito killer ring in it in the summer to stop it from becoming a "nesting" ground.  And, put up with the smell.

A few drops of garlic oil in on the water prevents mosquito and other water loving larva surviving. Any oil will work, it suffocates them but garlic isn't hazardous.

The rest of the funk is . . . . Hmmmm, maybe brew beer? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I use a 10 gal. galvanized trash can. The lid keeps everything out. A birdbath heater is adequate to prevent freezing down to at least zero and the current draw is low, something like 0.5 or 0.7 amps. Never have had it freeze. Don't have to worry about poking/burning a hole in it.