I Forge Iron

Re curving a door on a pig roaster

horse

My neighbor and I are building a pig cookerfrom a propane tank. When we cut the door the lid sprung and we are struggling to get it back in place. Anyone have any ideas about how to shape it to match the profile?

image.jpeg

A cuple of ratchet style chain binders, a cuple pieces of angle iron and good bed of coals. Use the angle to spread the load and the binders to pull the curve back into your door. Then place it binders up on a good bed of coals and let the heat realive the stress in the steel. Heat is your friend

That might do it. Main thing is to chain it and be able to compress it. The heat relieves stress and makes it easier to move. Probably wouldn't have sprung on you if you heated it before/ during cutting. 

When I built mine, the door on that unsprung itself a little. I simply attached the hinges and latch and it has enough spring in it to put that little bit of tension on the latch to hold it firmly shut and no annoying rattling. If it's not a lot out of original you may not want or need to reform it.

It is too bad for a latch to bring it in. I have some tension on it with the ratchet. Going to heat it and hope for the best. Thanks guys. Going to be a great cooker when we finish it 

Just tried a weed burner. Hoping it will be my friend. Trying not to build a fire if I don't have to. Waiting for the door to cool before I take the binder off. I am assuming no quench. 

If that does not do it you can try shrinking it. Heat a strip side to side from the inside red hot, then apply a wet rag to the inside of the door and watch it pull in. I have straightened out 1/4" thick stainless plate this way. For this you may have to do a strip in a few locations to keep it even.