I Forge Iron
Glenn

Ticks and Lyme Disease

7 hours ago, Stash said:

I hate explaining bad jokes.

And that one was a real lemon.

So far this tick season, I've had 6 of the little buggers bit in and a whole bunch of nymphs picked off with Scotch Tape, that were just running around on me. I smell of Eu-D-Off 40% Deet which seems to attract them. The way I kill them is to use a Bic lighter (BBQ ticks). I'm allergic to tick bites and always get the bullseye rash and swelling. Been tested by my doctor several times for every tick borne illness and the results have come back negative. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is the most prevalent here Lyme disease is considered low incident.  Don't even get me started about chiggers.:angry:

Another 3 ticks removed in the last two days. More activity than I can remember this early in May. 

On the bright side (pun intended) we say the first firefly last night.

We had a hard freeze in april that seems to have killed back most of our creepy crawlers. I end up with the little little seed ticks stuck to the nether regents as well. Sandy doesn’t particularly enjoy inspecting me for ticks. 

I don't think deet was particularly effective on ticks and there was another repellent recommended. I know some who recommend spraying your outdoor gear with pyrethrum and letting it dry. Starting with your socks. 

Pyrethrum seems to work well and as of yet seems safe for peaple. 

here we often get tick problems too , fortunately not the Lyme problem though i recommend putting a bit of diesel in your boot polish and it stops those on the ground from climbing onto your boots, not much help with those on grass though. to get ticks to let go pop a bit of Nandos sauce on them! (beware with nether regions though):D don't ask how i learnt this

Ian  ...,

Is Nandos sauce like Tobasco sauce?  (with lots of chile in it ).

SLAG.

Nandos is a chicken franchise ,  i've seen their sauses in Walmart it started here but is worldwide now i its peri-peri  so garlic and chili very tasty but i can understand why ticks move when doused in it!(i wouldn't hang around   if i was dipped in it):P

I might have missed the Nandos brand, in the past, and it may very well be available here.

Peri-peri sauces are widely available, with many brands.

The chilies will affect most animals. But birds do not taste it and enjoy the seed pods. The plant "uses them to disperse their seeds.

Next time note the red chili pods in the feed macaws chow down on.

Ian thanks for the response.

SLAG.

p.s.  By the way thanks for the Diesel/shoe polish tip.

Now I have to buy a truck to go with the Diesel.

"Now I have to buy a truck to go with the Diesel."

You say that like it's a bad thing!

I guess the tick season is starting early this year. Found the first one today.  Little bitty fellow less than 1/16 inch in diameter.  Put it on a piece of tape and then folded the tape over and sealed it close.  He is not going anywhere for a long while.