I Forge Iron

Ticks and Lyme Disease

Glenn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this tick season, I've had 6 of the little buggers bit in and a whole bunch of nymphs picked off with Scotch Tape, that were just running around on me. I smell of Eu-D-Off 40% Deet which seems to attract them. The way I kill them is to use a Bic lighter (BBQ ticks). I'm allergic to tick bites and always get the bullseye rash and swelling. Been tested by my doctor several times for every tick borne illness and the results have come back negative. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is the most prevalent here Lyme disease is considered low incident.  Don't even get me started about chiggers.:angry:

We had a hard freeze in april that seems to have killed back most of our creepy crawlers. I end up with the little little seed ticks stuck to the nether regents as well. Sandy doesn’t particularly enjoy inspecting me for ticks. 

I don't think deet was particularly effective on ticks and there was another repellent recommended. I know some who recommend spraying your outdoor gear with pyrethrum and letting it dry. Starting with your socks. 

Pyrethrum seems to work well and as of yet seems safe for peaple. 

here we often get tick problems too , fortunately not the Lyme problem though i recommend putting a bit of diesel in your boot polish and it stops those on the ground from climbing onto your boots, not much help with those on grass though. to get ticks to let go pop a bit of Nandos sauce on them! (beware with nether regions though):D don't ask how i learnt this

Nandos is a chicken franchise ,  i've seen their sauses in Walmart it started here but is worldwide now i its peri-peri  so garlic and chili very tasty but i can understand why ticks move when doused in it!(i wouldn't hang around   if i was dipped in it):P

I might have missed the Nandos brand, in the past, and it may very well be available here.

Peri-peri sauces are widely available, with many brands.

The chilies will affect most animals. But birds do not taste it and enjoy the seed pods. The plant "uses them to disperse their seeds.

Next time note the red chili pods in the feed macaws chow down on.

Ian thanks for the response.

SLAG.

p.s.  By the way thanks for the Diesel/shoe polish tip.

Now I have to buy a truck to go with the Diesel.

• 1 year later...

I guess the tick season is starting early this year. Found the first one today.  Little bitty fellow less than 1/16 inch in diameter.  Put it on a piece of tape and then folded the tape over and sealed it close.  He is not going anywhere for a long while.  

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

From what I understand it's for identification if anything develops from a bite. I got my first tick bite the other day. A lone star tick. If I know what the strain of tick that bites me, I just BBQ them with my Bic lighter. I remember once getting into a slew (hundreds) of seed ticks, used Duct tape to get all the little buggers off me.

2 hours ago, LeeJustice said:

They're gonna die like that.  And you can taunt them as they do so.

I can buy that. Is taunting a tick you're in the process of killing bad karma? :huh:

So you should use transparent tape, Randy? Hmmm, it WOULD enhance taunting, you could watch their anguished little tickie expressions.

Does insect repellant work?

Frosty The Lucky.

we’ve already had ticks here this year also

I just squash em with a rock or use a pocket knife to split em in half if I’m out an about,

if I’m in the shop I just use the benzomatic! Lol

dont have much trouble around the yard because the chickens keep ‘em cleaned out, but the field north of the house can get pretty bad on is west fence line,

Tape is just to entrap them so there is no escape. None spotted here yet. Our outdoor retirement cat got a flea and tick collar this year because last year he was a tic magnet. We don't want him bringing them to the house to possibly get on the kids. I've done everything from torching them to rock smashing to tape entrapment. As long as they are disposed of to never latch on again, I'm good.

I use Sawyer ( Permethrin spray) on my clothing, especially socks & pants. For the yard, area around the shop/garage driveway and edge of the woods, I mix Pyrethrin up in a pump up sprayer and spray it all a couple of times summer & fall. It does a good job controlling the ticks & chiggers. Our local farm supply carries it in quarts & gallons concentrated. Have to keep the animals off it till it dries and not let it get into water runoff's it's not friendly to living things, especially bees, so I spray early morning or late evening when they are not active.

I use tape to attach the tick to and then fold over and seal the edges.  The tick stays put, can safely be handled, and keeps the it available so it can be tested in case there are signs of Lyme disease,