I Forge Iron

Annealing is a heat treating process that brings the steel to full soft condition. This is as soft as a particular grade of steel gets cold, some grades are near immovable at any temp, some are like butter at any temp. Regardless, annealed is as soft as it'll get cold.

Sure, those will straighten easily. Just heat it up and bend it straight. It'll want to warp out of flat some but that's what the hammer and anvil are for, just try not to thin the metal when you're flattening it, that'll tend to "set" the warpage.

The best way to flatten steel without drawing (thinning) it is over the hardy hole or another gap. This allows the metal to bend without getting caught between hammer and anvil which will draw it.

Another perfectly good method is to straighten over a wood block, end grain hardwood is the popular preference but I've used softwood for years and it works just fine.

I've attached a pic from the days we were clearing the land cir. 97'. The anvil I'm using is a block of birchwood. In the lower left the yellow thing is a 12v Coleman Inflatall I'm using to provide the blast. The Tuyere is a 2' length of 1" pipe. I didn't even dig a hole, just piled a little dirt over the end of the pipe so it wouldn't burn up right away.

I'm not doing anything tricky, just recurving and setting an arm of the log tongs we were moving logs with. Bending only, no change in dimension needed or wanted. Wood is perfect for this if a little smokey.

Remember Blacksmithing is done by the Blacksmith, NOT the tools. :cool:

Frosty

6145.attach