I Forge Iron

ID an Anvil

Try using the regular face of the hammer al let it drop from right around 10" up. Just lightly hold the end of the handle to keep it steady. ( brush the rust off the face of the hammer first) 

the way you were doing it won't tell you much but it did show "some" rebound. 

Dont worry, if it's a good anvil ( which I think it is) you shouldn't dent it dropping a light hammer like that from higher up. They are way tougher then that. ;) 

Ok so with a clean hammer face it seems like the bounce comes back to almost the same height as the drop point, about 9" from a 10" height.

I cleaned it up and she stopped by the house last night, I told her everything I had learned about the anvil and that is was prolly worth between 6-800 bucks in our area which was beyond my budget. So with that said I was going to bring it back to her place on the weekend. She really appreciated the information as knew I had a very keen interest in the Anvil. So she offered it to me for $400. I could not say no.

Now I just have to devise a base for the xxxx thing, any suggestions? One idea is to sink an H beam into the ground outside the garage door to my shop off to the side and put it there, I can cover it with a garbage can when not in use to protect it from the elements etc. I would like to put it on some kind of base with wheels which you be idea but not sure how smart having 300# of rolling iron in the shop would be.

Thoughts?

$2:63 a pound an excellent price on the left coast for a great anvil and you feel good about doing the right thing too. 

WELL DONE!

As for stands; there is a large number of examples here, including some with tip up wheels!  (both metal and wooden versions...)

I don't know how you are doing your search but both: anvil stand iforgeiron.com and anvil stand iforgeiron.com images had good hits using chrome on Windows 10.

Note however that some stands shown are not necessarily good ones---like the horizontal crisscross where they maximize the energy lost in the stand vs vertically oriented pretty much the same amount of wood.